How do I deal with a 4 year old temper tantrums?

My 4 year old daughter throws really bad temper tantrums and i dont know what to do. I have tried everything like not talking to her, trying not to pay any mind to her crying, time out, and taking toys away.

Denise0187

Asked by Denise0187 at 10:59 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Did try giving her spanking???? Works really well with my daughter...Everywhere we go people say she is so well behaved. When people learn to separate discipline for child abuse... This world would be better off!
    Anonymous

• Spanking does NOT work Anon. I lay odds you have to keep spanking her to get her to behave then she acts out aggressively toward other children bc it's a bully mentality that will be passed on.

Now to the OP's question. Stop what you are doing when she starts that crap and look her in the eye. Get down to her level if you must but calmly and firmly ask her what she wants. Tell her to talk to you and tell you what her problem is. Give her that undivided attention. It usually only takes one minute of your time and it teaches her how to cope with her frustration by simply talking to you.
    Anonymous

• Spank. You be bad, you get hurt.

Works for us.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:52 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Thank u all!!!! I have tried to spank her but that just makes it worse she will start screaming saying my butt is red and won't stop saying that intill i tell her its not red. I try to talk to her at her level and say what i have to say very calm and she will snap and yell saying i will be nice and i ask her when r u going to start being nice and she yells back at me saying now. But i am trying to figure out an easier way.
    Denise0187

Answer by Denise0187 at 1:50 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i have gone in rounds with my almost 4 yrs too.but you do need to give her more attention,try to catch the problems before the tempers start,and learn what all causes them.teach her how to communicate her feelings and talk it out and explain why she cannot act that way.that ni ho ki lan show on nickjr has really helped my daughter to figure out some of her problems and how to solve them on her level.once u figure out what works the best for her,then be consistent with it.it seems like it takes awhile for it to sink in sometimes.hang in there momma...
    vkm1130

Answer by vkm1130 at 12:55 AM on May. 13, 2010