Over worrying with first baby

I have a daughter, 8 months, and I cant tell you how many times docs have said you are worrying too much, she is your first, when you have another, you wont worry as much. WTH? They told me this when my daughter was projectile vomiting. I love my daughters current ped, but there are some doosies out there. I guess I assumed they would think better safe than sorry, but they act as if I am an inconvenience. Has anyone else encountered something like this?

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 11:01 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have to assume that those parents have other kids, and that's why they feel like, "oh, well, he'll be fine by himself". No matter what they tell you, it won't hurt to be too overprotective. You're only following your instinct. And it could actually end up being a good thing in some situations.
    shawnaquijada

Answer by shawnaquijada at 11:40 PM on May. 2, 2010

• from my experience what they're saying is true.... they're not saying it to be mean but if you have more kids you'll see what they're talking about.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:05 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I agree with princessbeth79 .. they don't want to be mean, they are being honest with you. I can't tell you how many times I brought my daughter in for just a cold because I was freaking out thinking it was something way worse b/c she couldn't breathe .. Doctor would check out everything, but conclude it was just a cold.
    All new mom's do it, it's natural. Projectile vomiting?? I would have freaked too, but that's why we have doctor's, to ease our worries.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:13 PM on May. 2, 2010

• First time moms due tend to worry more and some do run to the Dr with everything... Babies get sick, throw up, their poop changes colors and texture with the foods they eat. They don't have a medicine for every sickness and sometimes we do just have to let it run it's course. Yep, been there done that.. now as long as they are breathing, nothing is broken and they are not bleeding, I don't worry as much LOL...But my kids are now 17,10 and 8. You do learn what to be concerned about and what is nothing more than something they picked up somewhere.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:16 PM on May. 2, 2010

• This reminded me of my sister-in-law - when she had her first daughter, if the baby coughed in her sleep, my sister-in-law would jump up and run to the room to make sure the baby wasn't choking. It was hilarious. Her fourth kid is now a year old, and she lets the baby walk around the entire house by herself, with no supervision. She went from a complete overprotective nut to one of those parents who doesn't watch her kids at all.

I have only one son, and he's 2, but I'm due with my daughter in about a week. I am pretty overprotective with my son, but I don't think there's too much harm in it, as long as you can still let them live and learn. I notice that when I take him to the park, I'm the only parent walking around with him, making sure he doesn't fall off of the equipment (there are some serious dangers). I've seen kids younger than my son playing on the equipment that's for older kids, all by themselves.
    shawnaquijada

Answer by shawnaquijada at 11:39 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I def. have calmed down I was really worried when she was first born, but I think it is alittle disrespectful to treat it like I am crazy or something. Especially, as a first time parent you do worry because it is new. I just thought they would have alittle more compassion.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:45 PM on May. 2, 2010