How do I prepare my body to breastfeed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you can read about it i guess and go to a class to learn the different holds. just remember that it takes time and don't give up. i think you can do more to prepare your mind than your body
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:16 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Being a mom of 4 and breastfeed 3 of them it just comes natural really , if you have any problems at first when in the hospital dont hesitate to ask the nurses they can help you in the beginning but you will get the hang of it very quick
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 11:17 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Your body already knows how to prepare. There really isn't much that you could or need to do, but you may want to join a BF group so you will have more support if you have any questions once the baby is born.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:18 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Read up on it, and cut out things you don't want to be feeding your baby, as you are probably already doing with being pregnant.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:18 PM on May. 2, 2010

• hormones tell your body what to do and when.

Read some breastfeeding books if you want, or check out the la leche league
    Anonymous

• don't bother toughining up your nipples as some will tell you...it will not help with pain...if you have pain, it's more likely the latch your baby has on you. Dont' be afraid to try different positions to nurse, what works for some will not work for all. i had to use the football hold on the left side while I didn't on the right. Keep in mind that it takes time for you to get good at nursing. Baby has to learn just like you have to learn. Keep patient. Always keep a bottle of water handy when you nurse. I found that everytime I would sit down, halfway through, I would be horribly thirsty and wouldn't have something near. Get in touch with a good lactation consultant. remember that it can take up to 7 days for milk to come in and until then baby WILL thrive on the colostrum you are producing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:32 PM on May. 2, 2010

• don't worry about how much baby is getting out of you (your production) just keep track of how many wet diapers they are getting. you will notice that every 3-6 weeks, baby will want to nurse more often and act as if they aren't getting enough to fill them up...they really are and they are going thru a growth spurt and frequently nursing is how they trigger your body to produce more milk. If you give in to giving formula at this time, you will potentially decrease your production. in the end, if you decide to go the formula route just keep in mind that you are doing what is best for you and your baby. As long as you are happy and baby is happy and healthy, that is all that matters. Good luck!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:35 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Become confident ( through education & support).
    :-)
    There are some great books and support groups~~

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:21 AM on May. 3, 2010

• read a breastfeeding book. they help inform about holds, how to prevent sore nipples and that kind of thing. make sure you have your supplies. a nursing bra that fits loosely the last couple weeks of your pregnancy, pads and lanolin is all you need to get started. hot/cold packs, pump and pumping supplies are not necessary immediately but good to have later. i never once used hot/cold packs but some women swear by them during engorgement.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:46 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I'm a young mom, and I live in a diff country then my family, so I had zero help when it came to breastfeeding my DD. We only stayed in the hospital a day, and after that I called back and said they couldn't help me! So, here are a few tips that I've learned the hard way. 1.) if the latch hurts, it's wrong and the baby isn't getting milk. I strongly recommend looking up videos of the latching positions before you have the baby... they are relatively simple, but if done wrong, it can cause serious cracked nipples and low weight gain in the baby. 2.) If you plan to breastfeed in public ever, def purchase a cover up. They are so useful!!! 3.) Don't make plans for when you want to stop breastfeeding.. they change.. I wanted to stop at 6 months and here I am at 12 months thinking she's still just a baby and that I'll continue for a few more months. 4.) If you're working, take off as long as you can afford. I took off six weeks CONT
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on May. 3, 2010