Does your child swear? My neice (who is 12) has been lately and my 8 year old told me about it.

I told my sister about it and she told my neice not to do it around my kids and she did stop. My sister said that most of her school friends swear. Do you find this to be true?

Asked by Frankie64 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Raising Children Network | Swearing
    If your child continues to swear a lot (and adults in the family don't swear) you may need to talk with him about why he does it. ... -

Answer by vbruno at 11:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• kids mimic what they hear.... My 6 and 7 year old will say "Oh, barnacles!" when something doesn't go the way they want, because that's what they hear on Sponge-bob.

If Mom and Dad swear alot the kids will do it too, they will also mimic their friends at school to be "cool". Although I've have told my kids just because Johnny does it doesn't mean that you can...

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My daughter only did a few times and I reprimanded her for it. I told her that it doesn't matter who does it, that it's not allowed in our family. We do not swear in our household. I was just curious about kids this age and if it's the "in" thing to do.

Answer by Frankie64 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• This may be true. But it would not fly in my house. I would tell my 8 year old that this is not appropriate behavior. I expect more from my child and really praise your child for telling you about it. It shows that your kids can tell the difference between right and wrong...good job mom!!!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• preteen years are ripe with all the 'new' things they want to try. You have to be vigilant, keep lines of communication open and set parameters for what is acceptable.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Yes, many kids swear and they are alot younger than 12. It just depends on the language at home. I am sure my little darlings say a bad word now and then (almost every movie or even tv show has a four or more letter word that wouldn't have been heard on the tube a generation ago. Don't forget the music they hear.

Answer by manna1qd at 3:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Just because when they are with their friends doesn't mean you should allow it in your house.

Answer by ilovemybananer at 3:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• yeah I can see this being true it's a phase a lot of kids go through

Answer by bubblycute at 6:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I'm sure my angels swear when I'm not around, but I have NEVER heard, nor have I ever been told about it. I did when I was their age. As long as I don't hear it or hear about it, they are being very careful and not doing it much. And there isn't much I can do about it. I know their cousins swear, they tell me about it. I really don't worry I think they make good choices.

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Not after brushing with Dawn Dish liqud... Seriously, I hear a group of girls passing by my home. They were swearing so I went to look, and my daughter was the one swearing! I made her tell me every dirty word she knew. She was 12.

Were my eyes opened! I told her this was unacceptable, and there are other words to use. And if I heard her was DAWN DISH LIQUID.

Hope it helps........

Answer by ToldUNo at 3:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2008