What could a server at a restaurant do that would make you want to ask for him or her again?

I am a server at a restaurant and have been there 11 years. There is this server I work with and he will butter up the tables. Compliment them, gush over them...and people ask for him all the time. It bothers me because he is not genuine and will talk about them as soon as he is out of ear shot. I give excellent service and I am more matter of fact, I do not get too personal but I am very pleasant and I am genuine.

So my question is...would it even bother you if you loved how your server made you feel like a queen only to know it was all to get a tip out of you? Or what you dont know wont hurt? And what are some things that you really like to see from a server to make you want to come back to him or her specifically.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 11:21 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think people should be that nice all the time. I pride myself in being just that friendly to people and getting to know the customers, because those are the people that will come back.
    Anonymous

• Yea just cater to me.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:24 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I just want my food served in a timely fashion. I want the server to check back with me to make sure we are doing ok. Most important,,,refill my coffee or my ice tea before it is gone,,that is a huge thing with me. I have been left bone dry and nothing says,,lower tip then having your cup bone dry,,,I dont need the comedy act,,just the service please! :)
    Anonymous

• i don't really care who serves but the nicer they are the more i tip. i know that servers don't take good care of me because they like me its because they want a good tip and it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:25 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Well, it helps that my daughter was a server for a long time; i can recognize those "just being nice to get a tip" types. They get nothing extra from me.

What i love in a server is someone who is attentive but not hovering. i like to know that my glass will be refilled in a timely manner, etc. A friendly personality is also a plus, but don't be so friendly that i feel like you are....hovering. haha
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 11:27 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I had the same situation, the guy was gay and so over the top with his customers, I think he simply entertained them. he always had requests and made more than any of us. It was frustrating because I really bent over for all my customers also...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:29 PM on May. 2, 2010

• oh yea, and if i am a regular, and you meet the criteria above AND you remember something specific about me or my order???? i will ask for you forever.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 11:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I'm more interested in what they're not doing than what they are doing - don't stand around gossiping with the other servers where I can hear you. Don't walk past and avoid eye contact a half dozen times when we have empty glasses lined up along the edge of the table. Don't suck up to my kid to the point of being creepy. Oh, and don't disappear for a half hour when we're done before bringing the check.

That said, there was one thing that did get us to ask for the same one every time we went back. When I was pregnant and got hit with a wave of never in the morning sickness when the smell of my food hit me. I took off for the bathroom as casually as I could. Server came and turned a plate upside down over my food to keep it warm while I was gone, brought me a sprite when I came back to the table and asked if I wanted to give it a shot or take it home.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:32 PM on May. 2, 2010

• This took me back to when I worked in a restaurant...I was actually a glorified bus boy for a long time before I got a waitressing position. This was a pie house, and customers actually did ask for certain servers, and the girls each had their domain area they worked in. The girls where not flirty,,this was a pie house and we served to little old ladies....but they where attentive and gave good service. That was a long time ago,,,and I dont know how many tables you guys serve per station now,,,but, it was the service that made the customers happy. I would suggest you try a pie house, but the tips are aweful with no alcohol being served,,,lol
    Anonymous

• What a GREAT question I am excited to answer LOL
    1. dont act like you just didnt notice my drink was empty. if youre totally busy just say sure and do it when you can, but please dont act, be real
    2. dont hang around the table a lot. maybe if i was a single guy lol i'd want you to but i am usually with my husband and we are talking, so just do your thang ;) (but like if a little toddler is fussy, stop by and say hi to them so they can be distracted! Bring bread!)
    3. dont avoid eye contact. if i look at you that doesnt mean i need you to come over, but if i am trying to ask you something, its pretty annoyign if you wont look at me. thankfully this has not happened for a long time for us
    4. i like to be given choices (even if its in the menu) so like when i order chicken parmasagna, you should say, ok thats just the chicken and a side (in case i assumed pasta came with it or whatever) and then list the sides. so i dont hav
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:41 PM on May. 2, 2010