Does your toddler also do this?

I have a 2 yr old daughter. She is energetic, throws tantrums like most toddlers and has a mind of her own. So anyway, my neighbor offered to babysit her one night while my hubby and I went out. She has no kids of her own, 21 and a college student. We were gone for 2 hours. When we returned, I saw my daughter had a pack of ritz crackers in her hands and was just munching away. So of course, I asked her how much she's had (which was way more than enough) and asked my daughter to hand it over. She (DD) refused and ran off laughing. So I called out her name and asked her to give the crackers back. She didnt want to. So my neighbor decides to step in and asks my daughter to "listen to your momma, and give it back" . This was when she decided to give the crackers back to me.
So of course now, my neighbor thinks my kid doesnt ever listens and me and thinks I let her get away with things. (contd)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Perfectly normal. Kids tend to react differently to outsiders than they do to their parents.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:10 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Yup...everyone thinks my tot is sucj an ANGEL...yeah right...she's like Jekyll/Hyde at home!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 3, 2010

• She mentioned this to my DH a week later about how I suck as mother and she (who doesnt have any kids yet) must be a better parent since my kid obeyed her and not me. She implied this in her statement, of course. I am so pissed. She also says how my DD acts quiet and respectful towards her but as soon as we get home, she wants to run around and jump on the couches and throw tantrums.

Anyway, my question is, does your kid sometimes act different with other people than they do with you? Thanks
    Anonymous

• Totally normal. All of my kids have always listened better to pretty much anyone else besides me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My son is 21 months... and he for sure acts differently for different people. He's much more behaved at his daycare than he is at home... he doesn't throw tantrums for her like he does for me. And he's much more clingy with me vs his dad but he'll listen to DH better than he does with me. And he's also more sensitive if other people tell him "no" it hurts his feelings or something because he gets all sad... where at home it's like he can't even hear the word being said LOL.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:18 AM on May. 3, 2010

• When my 22 month old's daddy is visiting, she doesn't push his buttons all that much. But when it's just me and her, OMG...always challenging me, throws tantrums, etc...!! Then again, Daddy is the "fun parent" and I'm the "disciplinarian"...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:21 AM on May. 3, 2010

• OK thanks everyone. I feel a lot better now. For a moment, I actually started believing this girl. I try to be a good mother and do the best I possibly can and to have someone question my abilities is very hurtful. Its been on my mind for a while and I feel good knowing this is normal. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I agree with the other moms. My kids do the same thing. I get terrified to leave them with people. But when I pick them up of course they were angels. Too bad it can't be that way at home for us moms. But that would just make are job way too easy!!!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 8:08 AM on May. 3, 2010

• ok seriously, its actually ABNORMAL if your kid acts the same around everyone. They use that as a tool to diagnose behavioral issues b/c kids are supposed to act differently around different people and those who don't may have a hard time forming relationships. There was just an article about this in Parenting. Home and family is where you're supposed to be able to be who you really are without fear of being rejected for something like bad behavior and kids need that outlet so they can compose themselves in public-little ones really milk that. If you think about it, even adults do that. You kinda regress around your parents and you probably show a side of yourself to your spouse that you don't to friends. That girl was just an idiot and I wouldn't hire her again...plus I'd tell her exactly why. How rude of her. Did she think your husband wouldn't tell you?
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:15 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Anyone who HAS Kids know that kids act better for others than for them at home.. its a comfort level on the child's part.. my son acts the WORST for me than he does at grandma's or for dad or even auntie..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:44 AM on May. 3, 2010