Sleepin on stomach\ sids

My son is 4 months old and just recently started rolling over. Well everytime I lay him down he wants to sleep on his stomach and this freaks me out! I don't want him sleeping on his belly bc of sids but I can't monitor him all night long and make sure he is on his back. Is there anyway I can keep him on his back or side? Any help? Thanks

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 12:19 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter never slept a day on her back until she hit 9 months. She slept next to me in the bassinet. She is now getting ready to turn 3. I would just keep anything loose out of the bed so that when he does roll over, it can't get near his face...look into a blanket sleeper if he needs more warmth.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:21 AM on May. 3, 2010

• you can try using a sleeping wedge so he cant roll over.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:30 AM on May. 3, 2010

• The blanket sleeper is a great idea! I have a wedge but I'm afraid he will just roll over in it and that cause problems but I guess that's my only 2 solutions! I will use both thanks so very much!
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 12:41 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I'm also scared his arm will suffocate him bc his face kind of buries into his arm sometimes :( I will probably just have a few more months of restless nights lol but it will be okay!
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 12:43 AM on May. 3, 2010

• lol I hate those wedges!
    my son had those.. and he rolled OFF that.. and all you see is his body on it.. but his head on the mattress and not on that.
    I gave up trying to get him not to sleep on his stomach, but he's more comfortable on it.. and he knows to roll over when he's uncomfortable.. he even lifts his head in his sleep for some reason lol
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:46 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I just asked my son's pediatrician about this Friday.

My son is very gassy so he's constantly falling asleep the second we do "tummy-time" with him bc it's so much more comfortable for him.. she said that it is safe for an infant to sleep on his stomach as soon as you find them rolling over onto their stomach on their own at night. (like your son is doing.) She said when it first happens turn him over onto his back again, just as you have been, and if he just continues to roll himself back onto his stomach he's fine to sleep that way. I think it's mostly because you really can't do much about it, but also because he's obviously very capable of pulling and holding his own upper body weight so you don't need to worry about him being incapable of doing so in order to prevent suffocation.

I know it might not ward off that instinctive worry/panic feeling, but i do hope it helps!
    ohitsdanni

Answer by ohitsdanni at 1:00 AM on May. 3, 2010

• DD just started this too. Baby's have built in relfexes to turn if something is in their face. I have watched her. when she rolls over and her face is in the mattress she will roll around and struggle until she turns her head. No matter how much I roll her over she ends up right back on her stomach.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:24 AM on May. 3, 2010