Therapy

My doctor recently refered me to a psychologist after I talked to her about my anxiety. I have never been to therapy but from what I have been told by others is that they dont give advice, they only listen. That doesn't seem like it would help me, and I have very little free time on my hands. Does anyone have any experience with this or input. Also, If they do in fact only listen then why do they have to go to school for this profession?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Health

• Mine was wonderful...she gave me exercises to do when I felt stressed and suggestions for relaxation. also, her just listening without condemning me or telling me that I was just over-reacting (otherwise validating my feelings) was a huge help.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:24 AM on May. 3, 2010

• they do listen, and if they're a good therapist then they will suggest lifestyle changes and bring out things that target your anxiety and help you cope and come to an understanding of why your having your anxiety. if you don't like the first one, def fish around for another one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 3, 2010

• They do not give advice. Their job is to get you to realize what skills you have to cope with what you are dealing with. That is their job. But because everyone is different we all have different coping skills. Which means he/she can't just tell you how to do it. You have to figure it out for yourself.
    They will listen, and if the therapist is a good one he/she will ask questions to get you thinking about yourself and your situations.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:48 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Counselors are great-give it a chance. My husband suffers from severe anxiety (anxiety attacks)and started taking Zoloft a year ago. It has been a huge blessing for our marriage and he says it really helps a lot. He is in his 40's and has had it since he was a teen. I might see what the therapist suggests but I think anything is worth a try since I hear (from my hubby) that anxiety is crippling and awful.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 12:55 AM on May. 3, 2010