Do you think its okay for a four mth old to stand up?

My dd is four months old and she loves to stand up. She just did it on her on one day with me holding her hands while she was sitting she just pulled herself with out me helping. I thought it was really odd that she could cactually do it and was able to stay standing. My oldest dd did not stand until she was atleast six months. I was just woundering if it could have any type of effect on her legs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if she's ready.. she's ready.. my son's been wanting to walk since he was 2 months old.. but he's been sitting and pulling himself up.. now at almost 8 months old, he's taking 4 steps when he walks by himself and stands on his own without help for a few seconds
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:32 AM on May. 3, 2010

• no probs at all, mine all did that from a very young age- at least as young as 4 months. It's really good for her, strengthening her legs. I always thought it was funny to hold my niece and nephew - they had legs like spaghetti., if you put them down on the ground, they'd tuck their legs up so they landed cross legged. Mine were legs down like soldiers ready to march
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:34 AM on May. 3, 2010

• No it's good for their legs and will help them get stronger. I have a friend who did just the opposite and never held her child up because of her own health, she could lift her baby and left her lay around all the time. Her child developed extremely short legs because she never got stronger from having any resistance on them. Even when a baby is newborn it is a reflex to push their feet down when they come in contact with a surface. I forgot the technical name for that reflex though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on May. 3, 2010

• as long as its not for long periods of time, then no it wont have any side effects.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:37 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I have a 4 month old girl and 2 boys. My daughter stands up all the time-I thought it was funny since my boys did not. Yes-stand her up! It will make her legs even stronger. My baby will get fussy if she stands longer then 10 minutes though-I would just stand her up-put down off & on throughout the day.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 12:38 AM on May. 3, 2010

• As long as you're paying attention to her. If she gets fussy, she may want to sit back down, but isn't sure how to go about it? If she wants to do it, though, it won't hurt her. I can't even get my nine month old to stand up.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:01 AM on May. 3, 2010

• she might not be ready to stand solo, her balance is still probably not that great so just make sure you're helping her stay upright so she doesn't wind up hurt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on May. 3, 2010

• As long as she is doing it on her own then it's ok. She's ready for it and she's letting you know. My dd is 4mo old and she stands all the time. She can support all of her weight on her legs, but we still have to hold her because she's a little wabbly. I'm sure if she were tall enough she could hold on to the table or something and stand up.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:22 AM on May. 3, 2010

• like others said, follow her cues. you can support some of her weight when you hold her hands. to put her in a walker, exersaucer or jumper are not good ideas.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:13 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My son could stand at like 6 weeks. no joke. i asked the dr at his 8 week appt and she said it was fine. it wont hurt him.
    Anonymous