When is it a good time to get another dog?

I had to put my dog down, and she was old.She was about 14yrs old. Whe is it a good time to get another dog?

Pixiemaid

Asked by Pixiemaid at 12:30 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I'm sorry I know you feel. We just put our 13 year old collie down in January. I've always been told that getting another dog right away helps to ease the pain. My sister had gotten a new puppy about 2 months before we put our dog down so we already had another dog in the house. Whenever you feel comfortable and ready to take care of a puppy again, would be a good time.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:32 AM on May. 3, 2010

• whenever you feel ok enough to get another one...i dont think theres a "right" time, its just all about when youre ready to have one..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:33 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My first dog died of cancer years ago, then I had my 2 younger kids and still didnt get one.  I guess I got use to the idea of not cleaning up after her, feeding and watering.  But when my 2 younger kids were 9 and 7, we got one.  Kids found out responsibility plus having a pet to love on and that she can love us too.puppy

Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 12:35 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I'm so sorry! Losing a pet is hard. I agree with the others who said whenever you feel the time is right. Good luck.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:37 AM on May. 3, 2010

• When it feels right to you is when it is the right time. It is differant for everybody but My advise is to give yourself time to grieve
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:39 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I'm sorry for you pain as well.......... been there a few times........... I know it seems hard, but you'll be surprised how easily you can warm up to a new pet and still remember the old friend you lost. Stop at the pet store now and then and you will know, when it's time.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:27 AM on May. 6, 2010