Baby is now 3 days old...any advise on how to nurse comfortably during engorgement?

Pretty self explanatory...I have not breastfed in five years so it just feels like a new experience. What advise do you have?

crystallynnv

Asked by crystallynnv at 12:35 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• express some milk before baby latches on
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I remember how painful this was,,,just trying to find some relief till baby latches on,,,express,,,that should help to soften the nipple and help baby to latch on..oh and congrats momma!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Mostly, I just gritted my teeth and beared it. It doesn't last that long. And the good news is that baby is relieving the engorgement by feeding.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:52 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I self expressed or used the pump to release the pressure before she latched on, then i saved the pumped milk for later
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:11 AM on May. 3, 2010

• express just enough for baby to latch or it will make the problem worse and longer lasting than it has to be
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:23 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I also hand-expressed or pumped (manual, not electric) before latching baby on, and froze that for later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on May. 3, 2010

• i would alleviate the pressure manually. with really young ones, i nursed whenever they were awake too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:09 AM on May. 3, 2010

• you would definitely want to check in a breastfeeding group to ask if this really helps because i never had issues w/ engorgement, but i read in my book to try nipple shields for about 10 minutes before nursing to draw out the nipple. but NOT to use the nipple shield while nursing because they are more of a hindrance than a help in most cases.

good luck :)
    Anonymous

• All of the best info here, including how to do reverse pressure softening to make it easier for baby to latch on: engorgement

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:11 PM on May. 3, 2010