Is it common for couples to sleep on separate beds?

A friend of mine has been sleeping with her son since the first day they brought him from the hospital after being born. It's been almost two years and she hasn't share the same bed with her husband since then.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "My hubby and I even still go to bed at the same time, at least when we are on the same continent anyway. I've never known a couple that slept seperately that stayed married."

There has actually been some research showing that separate beds are healthier for some marriages. Mine is one of them. Between my husband's snoring and thrashing, and my very erratic work schedule, we've learned that we fight less if we're NOT in the same bed every night. We're not apart every night either...we just go with whatever will work on a given night.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:32 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I don't sleep in the same room with my hubby because he snores. I love not sharing the bed and having room to stretch out.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:17 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I would think it is more uncommon than common. But who really knows... I dont think it is something you would go around telling people... it would be rather embarrassing to admit.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My hubby and I even still go to bed at the same time, at least when we are on the same continent anyway. I've never known a couple that slept seperately that stayed married. just my experience.
    Anonymous

• I do not believe it to be a common occurence but I wish it were. I sleep so much more soundly alone with more space to move and I need to have covers on both sides of body, I cannot sleep when there is open space next to me like when covers are pulled tight by my co-sleeper. I need that tucked-in feeling!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:26 AM on May. 3, 2010

• "I sleep so much more soundly alone with more space to move and I need to have covers on both sides of body, I cannot sleep when there is open space next to me like when covers are pulled tight by my co-sleeper. I need that tucked-in feeling!! "

Unless you're already sleeping in a king-sized bed, I find that using a king sized flat sheet and blanket on a queen sized bed really helps with that.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 AM on May. 3, 2010

• my parents havent shared a bed in probably 12 years, due to my dads loud VERY LOUD snoring!! plus my mom has problems sleeping too, so yaaa, my mom gets the king size bed, and my dad sleeps 2 rooms down in a twin..lol but they are much happier that way!!

my sis and her husband dont always share a bed either, because she can not stand snoring!! so he usually sleeps on the couch..but hes a jackass tho so he deserves the couch! LOL...i hate that guy!!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:55 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My hubby and I have separate rooms ( opposite ends of the house) as he snores terribly. We slept in same bed for 10yrs, with me overtired and grumpy constantly then when I was pregnant with last baby I just was so sleep deprived and insane. We've had separate rooms for 7 yrs now and we are so much happier, affectionate and pleasant to each other. I don't think it is a bad thing if the choice is based on something other than not wanting to be in the same bed as them. Sex is great ( if a little planned) and then full nights sleep - heaven! The only time it is tricky is if we go on holiday and have to share, I have got so used to a quiet room, that his snoring is even more unbearable. - yes we looked into snoring remedies, he's had his nose broken 3 times and a broken neck so too much scar tissue :-(
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:56 AM on May. 3, 2010

• There has actually been some research showing that separate beds are healthier for some marriages. Mine is one of them. Between my husband's snoring and thrashing, and my very erratic work schedule, we've learned that we fight less if we're NOT in the same bed every night. We're not apart every night either...we just go with whatever will work on a given night.

It is certainly healthier for my hubby.  I told him either I needed to have my own room or I would end up smothering him with a pillow.  I used to get so pissed off when he would keep me awake at night. 

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:59 AM on May. 3, 2010

• It's not common to me and my husband. We have shared the same bed for more than 45 years, and we did not share it with out children except for very rare occasions. It might work for some marriages, but it would not have worked for ours.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:11 AM on May. 3, 2010