Do you find this odd?

I make deals with my DH all the time. Like when I hit 155 (i'm 5'6") I can have another baby (that's the highest normal range BMI for my height). I'm 10lbs away!! And if he wants another PS3 game.. he has to take us somewhere fun for the weekend... and so on.
Before we spend any money, we have to ask the other person (currently i'm not working, but usually i am). The same goes with going out... we pretty much ask if we can.. or if the other person wants us to stay home that night for some reason.

Some people have said we have a really odd relationship.. and I'm just wondering what you guys think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• sounds good to me. I'm not sure I'd make my weight a bargaining tool ( I'd never get anything!!) but you guys have a system that works Yay you! My DH and I check with each other before we spend a certain amount of money - it's courtesy. He goes fishing with the idea I get to go on the quilt retreat in two weeks time. All good, and we;re happy, sounds like you guys are too

shake hand

myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:32 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Sounds quite reciprocal and fair, whatever works for you.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:20 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I dont think its odd my dh and i always check with each other before we do anything. I dont go to the store with out letting him know and he does the same. Its because we respect each other and want to let each other know where we are or what we are doing.we dont spend money with out letting the other person know because its our money not one or the others. And we dont go out with friends with out one another.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 3:22 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I like it.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 3:44 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I don't think I would ever use something like weight as a bargaining tool either, because I would be afraid that hurt feelings would result. But if it works for y'all, hey, great! :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:45 AM on May. 3, 2010

• OP here: since we made that deal, I've lost 20lbs. Talk about motivation!! :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on May. 3, 2010

• my DH and I are pretty similar to that and I don't find it odd at all. It's a relationship based on courtesy, respect, and care for the other's feelings. good job and lots of baby dust!
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 4:40 AM on May. 3, 2010

• As long as that works for you, to me it is not odd. I wish my DH would do that some times. The spending money part. He just spend. I find out about it later.

Answer by louise2 at 5:39 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I don't know that I'd call it "asking", per se, but we pretty much do the same thing. It's common courtesy and respect to let the other person know where you are going and especially when it comes to money, keep the other person aware. My parents have always done the same thing. I don't find it odd at all. The only thing I wouldn't do is the deal with the weight, simply b/c I am so sensitive about my weight I would end up seriously hurt if for some reason I didn't/couldn't live up to my end of the deal.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:26 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Sure, it's odd - if you consider having a relationship that includes compromise, communication, and respect for the other person's point of view to be odd. :-)

Personally, I like odd ;-) My dh and I have a similar relationship - we talk about things, we compromise on things, and we have what we call a "mom override" and a "dad override" - which neither of us abuses by using too much - which means that if it's something that a compromise can't be reached on, and if one (or both) of us feels that strongly about it, we go with whoever has the most conservative or restrictive approach to it - like, one wants to buy that gizmo, the other doesn't - we don't buy it. One says the kids can dye their hair puce, the other says no, they don't dye their hair....

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:51 AM on May. 3, 2010