poop & anti-biotic question

My baby was diagnosed with an ear infection Saturday. Doc gave her Amoxicillan. Her poop is super runny now. And she's pooped twice in the past 2 hours which is not normal for her. Anything to do with the amoxicillan?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 8:43 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep. Antibiotics are notorious for causing diarrhea. It not only takes out the bad, but it removes some of the good bacteria our digestive system needs. In the meantime stock up on diapers and change them frequently as the acid in the diarrhea can cause major diaper rash quickly.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:54 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Absolutely. Antibiotics will do that.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 8:55 AM on May. 3, 2010

• More than likely, it does. Any antibiotic not only kills the bad bacteria in the body, but it also kills all the good bacteria, even those that live in the intestinal tract and aid in digestion. My family always takes a probiotic when we are taking an antibiotic. It can be purchased at any health food store, but I don't know if there is one suitable for babies. If she is old enough, you can feed her Activia yogurt, which contains the probiotic. Otherwise, watch her very carefully for signs of dehydration.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:56 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Is there anything I can do for it? My mother in law suggested baby probiotics. Or should I call the Doc back? This is the first time she's been sick, I'm just at a loss..
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:57 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Depending on her age you can ask your doctor about Florastor for kids. It's a probiotic and I do believe Walgreens carries it in the pharmacy dept.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:00 AM on May. 3, 2010

• be weary of antibiotics for ear infections in the future. some are viral, some are bacterial. we don't want to give useless antibiotics for viral infections. i think you should speak with your dr. about probiotics any time you give antibiotics.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:55 AM on May. 3, 2010

• How could you tell between a viral & bacterial infection? All the ped did was look in her ear...
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:05 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Doctors don't check or care usually, they only give antibiotics to keep moms happy. Not all ear infections even need medicine. I would just ask the doc to check and tell him if he thinks it can go without meds. And if your baby seems lethargic, has vomiting, worse diarrhea, fever or seems to get worse...you might want to check her dosge with the doc again. My son was prescribed an overdose of antibiotics when he was 11. I didn't realize that's what it was until I took him to the doc and she was going to give him more antibiotics...I was like no you aren't, he just got off a whole botle. I had to tell her 3 times before she would listen...then, she realized he was sick because he had too much. She prescribed the probiotic/enzyme replacement powder. He now has BAD IBS because of the meds. So, always be careful. He had never had an ear infection and only had antibiotics around 7 times before this.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:48 AM on May. 3, 2010

• like braden said, they can't check, and the meds are usually given to pacify the moms. again, like braden said, ask if you can go without the meds. actually, anytime a doc orders meds, you should ask, what are the alternatives to medication, and what would happen if we did no medication.
    anyhow, good luck getting through this!
    btw, probiotics can be good for the whole family :) just get help before giving them to a little one : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:04 PM on May. 3, 2010