do you take your child to the doc if...

they are running a fever 102.3 or do you just wait? when do you take your child in

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I wait until 104.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:50 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I wait... No sense in taking them in and being told to give them plenty of fluids, some motrin to soothe aches and pain. If it lasts over 3 days then it's time to go back to the Dr.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:54 AM on May. 3, 2010

• If the fever responds to motrin or tylenol then I just wait it out. If after giving tylenol or motrin the fever remains the same then I usually get him checked out. If the fever reaches 104 at anytime then I have him checked out but for 102 I would wait.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 8:54 AM on May. 3, 2010

• fevers are good for fighting infection if you give your kiddo meds and the fever does not go down in a day, ( then would take them in) I also switch between tynonal and motrin. you can always call the doc to see what they want you to do. I agree with the first person 104 and you should go. oh my dad was a emt and he use to put ice packs on us, I know it sounds weird but we had one on our head and then he would put them in our arm pits apperently that is what they do in the hospital.
    hollieham0

Answer by hollieham0 at 8:54 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I'd just wait....how old is your child?
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 8:56 AM on May. 3, 2010

• "If the fever responds to motrin or tylenol then I just wait it out. If after giving tylenol or motrin the fever remains the same then I usually get him checked out. If the fever reaches 104 at anytime then I have him checked out but for 102 I would wait."

Ditto :)

I will also make the call if the fever has been going on for more than 2-3 days. At that point I worry that it is bacterial (needing antibiotics) instead of just viral (clears on its own)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:58 AM on May. 3, 2010

• OH! I didn't think about age when I replied above.... if your child is an infant, you should at least call your doc and see what they recommend!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:59 AM on May. 3, 2010

• If it has just started I try to bring it down myself-- meds, fluids, warm bath and watch for other symptoms. If they have been running a fever for a day or 2 , if the fever won't come down or if there are other symptoms then I will call the doctor and try to get them in.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:04 AM on May. 3, 2010

• If it's just a fever then they stay home. I am not spending a ton of money for someone to tell me he has a fever and to give him Motrin.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 9:26 AM on May. 3, 2010

• personally, we have never had high fevers in our home. if we had a fever of 105, for more than a day we would discuss taking them in, but it would depend on other facotrs too. is the child lathargic, are there other symptoms, are symptoms changing? does the ailment seem to be getting better? we don't do tylenol or motrin either. i breast feed, so i don't worry much about infants and fevers, and with four kids, i have seen little other than teething fevers. unless we suspected our child had neurological damage, we probably would not take them to the dr. so far, our kids have only been to the dr. for kindergarten physicals.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:53 AM on May. 3, 2010