Would you watch someone's kids for an entire weekend?

I've been babysitting for about two weeks now. These kids are a nightmare. They are two and three and cry constantly. I'm not kidding. They cry for about five hours a day and I watch them for eight. They have no sense of dicipline. I've said that I wont' watch them anymore after this weekend. It's too stressful and I don't have to deal with it. I'm not spending one on one time with my own son and it's pissing me off. She REALLY pissed me off of Saturday to the point I was fuming. She was supposed to work 2-10 and texted me in the middle of her shift and said she was staying until 11 since she left an hour early on Friday. I texted her back and said I couldn't watch them after ten because I was leaving for my parents house which is a two hour drive and I had plans. She never texted me back. When she picked them up she said she didn't check her phone and had to stay. Yeah, ok.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 9:09 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• refuse.

she's taking advantage of you.

you don't have to take that kind of crap and if its affecting your children and your sanity....STOP.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:11 AM on May. 3, 2010

• She works overnight on Friday and Saturday from 11-7. She's asked me to watch them Friday night and keep them until Sunday when she gets off so she can "sleep." I don't really know how to tell her no. I'm at my witt's end with these kids. My poor son is so wonderful and he has no idea what's going on when they cry. I feel like they are destroying my house and I dont' have to deal with it. The thing is, I know what it's like to not have a babysitter. I don't know how to tell her no or what to say when I tell her I can't watch them anymore. Help?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:13 AM on May. 3, 2010

• could you use your dh as the excuse?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:14 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I know it is hard to say no. I have BTDT and it sucks! WHY do we feel like it is OUR problem?? I guess we are too sympathetic? No more though!!

A friend of mine has sticky notes all over her house to remind her to.... "Remember #1"

Its time you put these kids second. I know it sucks for the Mom of those kids, but you can't take care of them forever and she is going to have to figure this out on her own eventually anyway! So, my best advice to you is cut them off now!!

Best of luck!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:18 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Sure I would watch someone's kids all weekend...just no that someone's kids.

She sounds like a nut! I would definitly tell her that for the health of your family that you can not watch them. Then stick to your guns. I am sure it is going to suck for her to find someone else last minute, but that is the problem you have when you raise little demon children. I would not even feel too bad about it.

Run! Run away now... save yourself and your LO!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:24 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I think it is really odd that kids that age would cry that much,, don't you? Is this lady married or what is the status of her relationship? Sounds like you might be the only good thing they have going right now,, that being said SHE is taking advantage of you, but have never heard of kids bawling for that long of time,, before you cut her out,, I think you need to investigate their home life a bit,,,I can understand the first couple of visits,,but this is way too odd. I would have a long talk,,and if you keep doing it a contract of some sort,, unless it is worked out in advance my daycare provider charges a $1 a minute for being late,, good luck momma, and thanks for caring about these children.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:27 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Just tell her your sorry but you can't the kids are too hard for you.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:36 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I'm not married-I'm single so I'm with three kids by myself. She's got a boyfriend that's in some other town doing something and won't be back for three weeks or something. She brings the kids sick all the time. It does seem like a bad situation. I know they are living with her boyfriend's sister for now. She still hasn't paid me fore Firday and Saturday...I think I'll tell her today that this is the last week I can watch them.

I know she's got another sitter because she works like Tuesdays and Wednesday and I'm in school those hours and can't watch them. I'm certain she only went with me because I was cheaper than the other person watching them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:42 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I have watched kids before over night. But I didn't have kids of my own yet. I was about 19 or 20 at the time. They had 4 kids, but they weren't all that bad they were kids. This sounds like this lady is taking advantage of you so I would quiet too.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:56 AM on May. 3, 2010

• It depends on the circumstances and the person. I've not only watched / babysat for friends for their kids for the whole weekend, I've often had their kids stay with me when they've had to go away for work or when they've had an emergency in the family and for whatever reason it wasn't appropriate to take the kids (we're military, so yes, it's not uncommon for this sort of thing to come up sometimes).

But, that doesn't mean that I would do it for everyone or anyone, or that I would put up with basically being taken advantage of, and I agree, it sounds pretty odd that the kids are acting this way - I would definitely talk to her about it.

Maybe tell her, in writing, that this is the LAST weekend you will watch them, that she needs to find someone else. That way, you aren't leaving her hanging for this time, but you aren't letting her dump on you.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:26 AM on May. 3, 2010