How soon after a miscarriage to expect a period?

I had a miscarriage at 3 months on April 3rd, I know I ovulated after the miscarriage and by my math should have had a period today at the latest. Is this normal? How long after a miscarriage should my period come back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I have had 2 miscarriages 1 in Feb '09 and 1 in Jan '10. I know with my first it took longer for me to get my period back but it was also a "drawn out" miscarriage. I bled for well over a week before actually miscarrying. Then it was something like 6 weeks before I actually had a normal period.

The 2nd time I had a normal period 4 weeks later and became pregnant 6 weeks later and am currently 10w2d.

I know it can take up to 8 weeks for a normal period to return. Also many times your cycle doesn't really start over until you have completely finished bleeding, spotting, etc. from your miscarriage. Many times Ovulation symptoms appear without an actual ov. (ewcm, etc.)

I am sorry for your loss, but something that my OB, the OB that saw me the day my 2nd miscarriage occurred, kept repeating to me was that it is necessary to have one normal period before getting pregnant again to ensure the best chances for the next time.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:40 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I am so sorry for you loss, I know how awful it can be.. Did you have sex? You are most fertile after a miscarriage. You may have ovulated sooner and or later than you think, After my last misscarry, it was 6 weeks before my next period came,,but if you had sex, you might need to test, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:35 AM on May. 3, 2010