Breast feeding at age 4? IDK it kind of gave me the creeps!

DS bowls every Saturday,, one of the little boys he bowls with was very upset this week, long story short, his Mom took him into the bathroom and he came back all smiles. She winked at me and said he just needed his boobie? I was like WHAT? She says she still lets him BF when he gets upset,,,,now I know that in many countries,,that is okay,,but I felt really odd about it,,I think 4 is way too old, and it made me wonder who will be his boobie in Kindergarten next year? LOL! I am not going to say anything, but wouldn't it have made you feel odd???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There is no reason for a 4 yo to breast feed. That is called MOM WON'T LET HER KID GROW UP!! I am sorry, at that age it is NOT about nutrition at all. It's about MOM's need to keep her kid on her boob. Yeah, it's a bit creepy. .....Yep that is exactly what I was thinking.. I have one that is almost 4 and there is no way I would still be breastfeeding .. 1yr is my limit 15-18 months tops anything beyond that is creepy more about the mother fulfilling her emotional needs that it is about the child's well being. to me that borders on sexual abuse.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 3, 2010

• No - its perfectly natural. Breastfeeding isn't about only nutrition, it is about so much more than that. It is only odd because most women in the Western world do not breastfeed at all. It is natural just not normal in our society unfortunately.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:36 AM on May. 3, 2010

• ummm.....thank god she took him to the bathroom to do it.

yeah I know its ok and 'normal' but EWW!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on May. 3, 2010

• For her to talk to you about it seems a bit off. Bad for her to nurse a 4 year old, not really. It's pushing it for me, but whatever. I only nurse at home past about 18 months or so, but that's just me.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:42 AM on May. 3, 2010

• There's actually something that says there's no nutritonal benefits after age three. Ancient peoples only breastfed until three. She's going to raise a kid that relies on mommy for everything. I think that moms that breastfeed after three are only doing it for their benefit because they can't let go. I'm all for breastfeeding but there's a time to cut it off.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:46 AM on May. 3, 2010

• The average age to ween world wide is four years old. There is nothing wrong with it at all. At least she wasn't one of those moms who weens her child at 9 or 10 months and puts them on whole milk.... or worse.. 2%. Get over your shock and just accept that everyone does things differently.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I think it's annoying. To be honest, I hate seeing a kid that age still on the bottle, still with a pacifier, or still breastfeeding.

There's nurturing and then there's babying. Letting your kid breastfeed, have a bottle, or a pacifier after say, 2.5 is not "nurturing". It's babying.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 9:58 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I agree with GothicMommy3!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:02 AM on May. 3, 2010

• That is funny how everyone thinks it's OK because she was breastfeeding, but if she handed him a bottle they would be horrified. Your right OP it is kreepy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on May. 3, 2010

• There is no reason for a 4 yo to breast feed. That is called MOM WON'T LET HER KID GROW THE HELL UP!! I am sorry, at that age it is NOT about nutrition at all. It's about MOM's need to keep her kid on her boob. Yeah, it's a bit creepy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 3, 2010