4mo old eating

DD is 4 months old. Currently she is in the 95 precentile for height and weight (dh is 6'6'', and he was a really big baby too!). This last week she has been wanting to eat over 40 ounces a day! So I've started her on cereal. Right now i am just doing a little bit in the afternoon. But yesterday she ate 38 ounces, about a 1/4th cup of ceral and half a jar of applesauce. I know during the first year most of her food should be formula. But should I start feeding her more cereal? Shes is getting really good at eating with a spoon. She is even starting to open her mouth and lean towards the spoon when I show it to her. I just wnat to make sure she's getting enough of what she needs. But over 40 ounces a day of formula seems like ALOT!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• She's a big girl and she's growing, therefore she needs to eat, and there's nothing wrong with her starting on some very basic foods at this age. Some babies just need more than formula because of how much they're growing. You should probably check in with her pediatrician to make sure you don't overfeed her or anything and so he/she knows what you are doing, but to be honest, what you are doing seems fine to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 3, 2010

• go to the gerber website it will give you a sample menu for each age
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:06 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Nothing wrong with 40+ ounces a day. One of my babies was drinking 50+ ounces a day at one point, and the doctor was happy with it. It's better than too much cereal too soon. More expensive yes, but cereal is seriously lacking in nutrition and tastes horrible (YOU taste it - it's really gross! But then again so is formula :S).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 3, 2010

• As long as she is really still getting around 32oz-40oz of formula and still will eat and take bites off a spoon, then give her the food. Don't cut back on her formula, just give the food in addition to. Make sure formula is still the mainstay and solids suppliment.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:01 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I am an old school mom, I don't buy into this formula or nursing ONLY for the first year. I would rather her eat two cheesburgers and drink one beer than drink two beers and eat one cheesburger...know what I mean? If she is over weight, feed her more solids and cut back on the fattening formula. My kids had fruit and cereal at 4 months and they are now grown and totally smart and healthy. No worries momma.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:57 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Um..formula has nutrients that solids don't. That is why it is needed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:09 PM on May. 3, 2010