In your own opinion. How much should a husband earn for the wife to become a SAHM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• As long as they can live within their means and take care of their children, that's all that matters. Everything else is just fluff.

I've been a SAHM for over 20 years and that won't be changing anytime soon. I will be going from a SAHM (my youngest is almost 13 now) to a housewife as my children go off to school and start their lives as independent adults.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:25 AM on May. 3, 2010

• enough to be able to live comfortably?

bills paid, groceries bought, fuel for vehicles.....

different for everyone's individual needs and desires.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:41 AM on May. 3, 2010

• It varies from one family to another.

Also highly dependent on WHERE a family lives.

This isn't a one size fits all situation.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:46 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Some families can live well on less. SAHMs work on a budget we don't overspend. "Where there is willpower everything, there is a way"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 3, 2010

• depends because if a couple has 2-3 small kids then sometimes even if hubby doesn't earn a ton its better to stay home because child care would be more than what she could make. It depends how much can she make how much fam support do they have to help with the kids and what hours can she work.....Some families are able to make it on modest income with no extras but its worth it to them so mom can stay home while others want that extra income for trips and to save. So it isn't an exact amt in my opinion!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Well... I'm a stay at home mom right now. Have been for the last six months and we aren't hurting for money in any way shape or form, but I'll prolly go back to work soon so we can save to buy a house. Not all stay at home moms do it forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I dunno anon...I've been home for 9 years.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:52 AM on May. 3, 2010

• There are so many variables that cannot be answered on a simple CM question. What is your current lifestyle? Can you make cutbacks, if need be? What is the cost of living in your area? Are you working now? If so~Try living on just your husband's salary for 3-6++ months while you are still working. Save YOUR paycheck in savings and see how you can make it work..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:54 AM on May. 3, 2010

• It depends on where you live, but income would need to be enough to afford rent or mortgage, utilities, groceries, gas, insurance, etc. In some places that could be as little as 25K a year, and in other places it would need to be more like 60K a year.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:03 AM on May. 3, 2010

• About $40,000 after taxes for a family of 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 3, 2010