Family and community resources. What's the 1 item that you wouldn't mind it's used for your baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the only things I really wanted NEW were a carseat and bottles.

used stuff is totally fine as long as its clean, in good repair and well maintained.

if its all you can afford....go for it. only my 3rd really had new stuff (basically because we'd gotten rid of everything after #2)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:04 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Well... I'm pretty thrifty by necessity, so there are few things that I won't accept "used". If it is clean and in like new condition then I am HAPPY to accept it, and use it.

There are a few things that I prefer to buy new though. Car seats, baby bottles, sippy cups, are a few things I prefer to buy new. When they get older, I prefer new shoes (because if the child before had a funny stance then they wear the shoes out uneven and that is not good). Socks and underwear I prefer new too.

Of things I "prefer" to be brand new, I will occasionally make exceptions depending on who they are coming from and how much they actually used it. My friend just passed down a pair of beautiful dress shoes to my DD. Her DD wore them once for a wedding.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:07 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My goal is to use as much used stuff as possible - it's good for my pocketbook, good for the environment, and bad for the companies who pay their workers in China next to nothing to make me something new. I would not, however, buy (or receive free) a used carseat, except if it was bought new by someone I knew and trusted. Also on my list of things that need to be new for a baby are the phlanges (or whatever they're called - the things that actually touch your breasts) and tubing for a breast pump, bottles, breastmilk storage containers, um... that's all I can think of. I would love used diapers, clothes, toys, etc! Basically, if safety or sanitation isn't an issue, give it to me used! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:17 AM on May. 3, 2010

• the only things that i want NEW are crib, car seat, pump, bottles. oh and pacifiers if we use those with this baby :)

baby clothes are awesome used because babies grow so fast, so the 2nd hand clothes are usually in good condition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on May. 3, 2010

• oh yeah...shoes and the crib too!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:35 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I'm also a thrifty person by nature. Our crib is used...however our DD used it, so I guess that doesn't really count. Clothes that are in good condition i'm always happy to take (read: I LOVE yard sales! lol), but I would never take (or purchase) a used car seat. If I used bottles, i'd accept them from a trusted friend, same goes with breast pump parts (again, i'd have to REALLY trust this person). Other baby items i'd accept used are a swing, or bouncy seat, stroller, boppy, highchair....the cloth parts on them can easily be laundered and it's not hard to see if there is a safety issue (usually anyway). I gues i'm just not that finnicky. When you have more than 1 child, you have to get creative!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:05 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Mostly everything we have is used, either by our older kids or we got it used. The only items I insist on new are the carseat and bottles. I will even get a used carseat if it is not past it's expiration date and I know where it's been and that it hasn't been in an accident. But I would not get one at a second hand store.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:25 AM on May. 3, 2010