Transporting cold dishes....

I'd like to bring a broccoli salad to a party this weekend, but it has mayo in it....any tips on keeping it fresh? I mean, I can put it in a cooler to get it there, but once its there I don't want it going bad as it sits out on the buffet table...is there some easy solution to this that I'm not thinking of?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:15 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• mayo based salads have a 2 hour window. You can nest the salad bowl in an ice bowl for anything over 2 hours.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:17 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Take it in the cooler and set the bowl in a larger bowl with ice in the bottom, refresh the ice as needed,, I had one of those pyrex portable things, but found for cold food this worked better!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:18 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Mayo is actually good, the vinegar helps preserve the salad. Set the bowl in a cake pan with ice.

Answer by Bmat at 10:21 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Before preparing the salad, find 2 bowls that nest together with an adequate amount of room in the bigger bowl. Fill the bigger bowl with some water, put the smaller salad bowl inside it and weigh it down so the tops of the bowls are about even (you want the inner bowl to be sticking up a bit). Carefully put the bowl combo in the freezer. When it's solid, take the inner bowl out (you may have to put some warm water in it, similar to a warm water back for unmolding jello salads & the like). Prepare your salad and refrigerate, and when you're ready to go to the party, insert the small bowl into the big bowl and you've got a few hours of cold time. If that's too much, just put ice in the big bowl and nestle the small bowl inside - it won't stay as cold as long as the first way though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 3, 2010

• use a ceramic bowl bc they keep cold much longer than glass bowls. be sure it is in the fridge beforehand so it's nice and cold and you should be ok for a couple of hours at least
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:13 AM on May. 3, 2010

• What anon 53 said. I think you can use glass bowls but not sure. You can use tape to hold small bowl down too.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:05 PM on May. 3, 2010