How did you know when to add more kids?

My hubby and I have been discussing having a second child. How did you now when it was right for you to add children? Did it add much more costs or chaos?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• My goal was to be done by age 30, AND have kids about 3 to 4 years apart. We tried when DD turned 3, and I just turned 30 last week. He's due anytime now. :) Yeah, life will be more expensive with adding diapers, foods, and daycare costs. We'll be able to handle it. We don't plan on having anymore.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:38 AM on May. 3, 2010

• it always adds more cost and chaos...but i knew i wanted more than one child before dh and i got married....after i had our daughter we talked about a 2-3 year age difference b/c we want them to hopefully be close
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:39 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Everyone will tell you differently which parenting transition (none-to-one, 1-2, 2-3. etc) was more difficult on the chaos level for them. I think it depends more on individual personalities of the parents and kids than anything else. I never found adding another child to be any where close to the level of difficulty of having the first one. The biggest expenses in the first year are diapers and daycare, other than that it is not as expensive to add another kid as it was to have the first because you probably saved all the big stuff.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:39 AM on May. 3, 2010

• we wanted ours as close together as we could (18mo was ideal in my head) - and since #1 took so long ttc (12 months) we started ttc when our first was really young. as soon as the first was born we were planning the second.

she arrived shortly after #1's 2nd bday.

#3....however was a surprise. a very welcome surprise that completed our family.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:43 AM on May. 3, 2010

• oh ya plenty of both, but we do have 5.They just kinda came when it was time.We are done now.If we were loaded we'd have another , but we are not so we won't.It's very expensive to raise children.You should be able to start a savings as soon as they are ! But plenty have just taken it all one day at a time & made out all right too.It's different for everyone.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:46 AM on May. 3, 2010