Home daycare VS Daycare Center

Me and my husband are terrified to bring our son to a "home daycare" because of stories we saw while we were trying.. but I hear other Mom's saying they HATE centers.. why? We feel that they are more structured and most of all - we know he won't be getting beat/neglected etc because there are camera's and other people there and windows you can watch from at any given notice but what happens in center's that other mom's don't like?? Just curious.. We had a pregnancy scare and if we were to get pregnant we couldn't afford the center and they'd both have to go to a Home Daycare - just want some opinion's on what other mom's think are better and why..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Home daycares generally cost less, there's only one childcare provider, it's usually a more personal and casual setting -- if your kid's having an off day, they can usually tweak the schedule a bit to make it easier on your child. But if the provider is sick, there might not be a back-up plan. And you want to make sure they're licensed, not all of them are. And they aren't required to have any training.

Daycare centers have a staff so you don't have to worry about what to do if one provider is sick (and a good one has low turnover). You don't have to worry about licensing, and most (if not all...there might be a law about it, not sure) require some kind of education or training. But it generally costs more, and with more kids around the chances of your child catching an illness go way up.

Just a few pros and cons. Hope it helped.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:08 AM on May. 3, 2010

• In my town the center is horrible - there have been so many bad stories I don't understand why they're still allowed to operate. The best home daycare we had in town was a friend - my 2 oldest went to her for a while and it was wonderful. There's another home daycare near town that's really popular - she's got 10 families on a waiting list right now. Granted, both of them are/were state licensed/registered, inspected monthly, etc, and not all home daycares are, but for us, for my kids, home daycare was the only option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I have done both a home daycare and a large center. It really depends on the provider and how well you do your homework. The home daycare we used was wonderful- the provider was loving, caring, and patient, and my son loved her and the other kids at her home. She was registered with the state and had a city business license. I never walked in on anything I objected to while my son stayed with her. I also feel like smaller kids get more attention at a home daycare, but that's just my personal opinion. When she moved away, we put my son (then 2 1/2) in a large daycare. We love it too! He is learning so much and has really thrived. It's a family owned large daycare, but I feel my son has wonderful teachers and gets the attention he needs throughout the day. Just research your potential provider with the state. Do all the necessary background checks. If something doesn't feel right on the interview, then go with your gut!
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 11:16 AM on May. 3, 2010

• i've done both...i hated the daycare facility, it was horrible and trashy...the way all the daycares are in this area it seems..lol..and my mil runs an in-home daycare, and i worked with her at one point and dd loved it...she got to see her memaw everyday, and got to be around mom full time still..lol personally, i favor home daycares...less expensive, more one on one, and children can get cirriculum more detailed to their learning style..but be sure that they do cirriculum...so in homes claim to be daycares, but they really just babysit the kids and stick them in front of the tv....if you're looking to do in home daycare, do research...find someone who is willing to get a background check, and do an interview (or more if you feel the need)..i've heard of abuse and neglect in both, so either way you run the risk...i'm all for working moms and SAHMs, i don't favor, but if you're puting most of a paycheck into daycare
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:32 AM on May. 3, 2010

• for two kids (since you had a pregnancy scare), why not try the SAHM mom thing?..just a thought lol
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:33 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Well, even with 2 kids in daycare we wouldn't make enough for me to be a SAHM.. we just can't afford me not to work
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 3, 2010

• i use a at home daycare. but its a lincensed and the woman has been doing it for years and has a staff of two other people and one of them is her own daughter. its safe and reliable and like the other post says they are very flexiable. its more like a family there. my dd has been going there since she is 12 weeks old. its her home away from home. the kids are so friendly and like i said its more family oriented. i understand about the centers but i was from new jersey and i saw a really good one and wow i wouldn't of been able to afford it. its very exspensive. i am a single mom. anyways, i say look around alot. i had seen a couple of centers before i moved out of state and they were very unattractive and just gave me the creeps.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:34 PM on May. 3, 2010

• It just really depends on the area you live in. I have 2 small children right now that go to a center and a school aged child that goes to a sitter after school. We love both places. The Center that my two youn ones go to is located at and ran by a church. I mainly love the fact that my 2 yr old is in a classroom with 6 other 2 year olds for the morning. My 4 yr olds class has 9 kids, including my son. All the classes have preschool in the morning, then lunch and nap. The kids that stay full day are all combined after nap, which allows them to interact with others that are not in the same age group. We were on the waiting list for 8 months to get 2 spots at this facility and I am so glad that we did.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 2:11 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I worked at daycare centers. I would NEVER take my children to one that I did not work at, where I could watch them all day in their classrooms. I would and have used a home daycare however. Home day cares tend to be one extreme or the other. Ask around, see where other parents are taking or have taken their children for daycare. If the home daycare doesn't have a separate daycare room, I would just walk away, and if they do have a daycare room with a big TV set in it, I would walk away from that one too. (That is my own personal issue with kids watching tv though, I don't believe that TV in any form is appropriate in a daycare setting.)

3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:53 PM on May. 3, 2010