Home daycare VS Daycare Center

Me and my husband are terrified to bring our son to a "home daycare" because of stories we saw while we were trying.. but I hear other Mom's saying they HATE centers.. why? We feel that they are more structured and most of all - we know he won't be getting beat/neglected etc because there are camera's and other people there and windows you can watch from at any given notice but what happens in center's that other mom's don't like?? Just curious.. We had a pregnancy scare and if we were to get pregnant we couldn't afford the center and they'd both have to go to a Home Daycare - just want some opinion's on what other mom's think are better and why..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• So I feel like the more employees the greater the chance one of them might not be trustworthy, and my DD is too young to tell me if anything happens, and if she came home with a bruise it wouldn't be as easy to say who was responsible for her at that time if she has multiple caretakers throughout the day. I originally thought a center would be more accountable but after looking it just seems like there are also more opportunities for someone to slip thru who doesn't have good intentions. Maybe I am just paranoid.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:43 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Well, my son has been going to a home center for 2.5 years, and we've been very happy with it. Our babysitter watches our son and another little girl in addition to her youngest child. The older 2 are in school. She used to be a preschool teacher before she had her 3rd child so I feel very confident she's not going to abuse/neglect my son. He's actually received a lot of one on one attention that he normally wouldn't get in a center. Plus she's able to do a lot more with the kids, like field trips, the park, etc. that he might not get to do in a center. Plus, he's not getting exposed to as many germs at her house. He's 3.5 and hasn't been really sick in over 2 years. But, to each their own. I hope it works out for us that neither of my kids will ever have to go to a daycare center.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:03 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I'm sure there are plenty of home daycare that are great, but I absolutely prefer a center. I've just heard way too many stories of the kids watching tons of tv while the home care person gets their laundry done and cleans the house, etc. There are way more checks and balances in a center. Unless I knew the person forever, there is just no way I could fully trust one person to watch my child, kwim? At centers the employees are fingerprinted, checked with the fbi, cpr certified, etc. etc. They do age appropriate activities the entire time they are there, very structured, educational, etc.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:30 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I have my DD in a home daycare, which I love. I worked in a center for 5 years, and honestly, the home environment is better imo. My DD's dcp is LICENSED, and provides a good pre school curriculum. The ratio of kids to teachers is low with her and her assistant working there. In a center there is lots of turn over. My DD has had the SAME provider for 3 years now. She's become a family friend. The biggest turn on for me at first was the price too. A center out here will easily charge you $1000/month, while I only pay $130/week. I also like how my DCP takes the kids on field trips, walks to the local park, swim lessons, etc. She just does a real nice job.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:45 AM on May. 3, 2010

• We had a terrible experience with a home caretaker. I feel like my son was the lady's baggage and she dragged him with to run errands for all her kids. He didn't eat well at her house and never napped. Plus she wan't that much cheaper then the center (only like $10 per day). We have him at a center now and I love it and my son is having the best time, he gets upset when we pick him up b/c he doesn't want to leave. Centers are expensive but when you have more then one they will make deals with you so you can afford to have both there. That being said, there are a lot of very nice home caretakers, you just have to find the right one.
    Vins_mom09

Answer by Vins_mom09 at 1:18 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My DD goes to home daycare and here are the things I like: I got a recommendation from my boss's SIL who took her 3 kids there so I was glad she came recommended, the most kids there on any day are 6 which I feel exposes my DD to less germs and problems than she might encounter with many more kids at a center, my DD has the same caretaker every day so they have developed a close relationship, the woman's family is there sometimes, her DH and son and daughter and my DD likes them all, I feel she is just in more of a home and family environment and at 19 months I think that is best and as close as I can get to what it would be like if she was home with me or the DH. When she is older I might consider something different but I think home daycare will be the way I go until about 3 yrs old. The reasons I was uncomfortable with a center: there are so many more people in and out everyday that I don't know, (cont'd)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:40 PM on May. 3, 2010