when to put the baby in a toddler bed???

shes been walking for almost 3 months, she can get on and off beds, couches, chairs on her own, she does not like her crib. but she omly going to be 1 in 19 days. too young? iv been thinking it over for days......what do you gals think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You want to move her out of her crib when she first starts trying to climb out, at the very latest. If she doesn't like the crib and can grasp the concept of staying in bed to sleep, then you can move her now if you want. The only way for a baby/toddler to be "too young" is if they can't get in/out of the new bed or if they're still liable to fall off and get hurt (which can be helped by getting a bed rail).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:11 AM on May. 3, 2010

• no, one is not too early....my dd was in a toddler bed around that time, maybe a little earlier....she would not sleep in her crib, didn't like it, wanted nothing to do with it....it's up to you,..if you think she's ready then go for it. but do it slowly...put it in her room, and let her play on it, lay on it, nap in it..and if you think she's ready after that then go full force and take the crib down...but be prepared, you may have to put her back in it a few times...it's something new, and she can get on and off of it. good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:21 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I put my dd in a toddler bed at 1. I just put a side rail to prevent her falling out because she's a mover in her sleep. She can get in and out of it even with the rail up.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:33 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I think that 1 is too young. Just think is she were sleeping, and rolled off the bed. My son's 1, and he moves constantly, upside down, side to side.. I dont even think the tiny side bars could keep him in if he were on a normal bed. Plus, I dont think I'd get any sleep because I'd be too scared that he 'would' fall.. I'd feel so guilty if he ever got hurt because of a desision I made without thinking of the risks. Plus, what dose your daughter do when she wakes up in the morning? sit in her crib calmly waiting for you to get her, or dose she stand up and cry? Think about it. It's really not safe right now.
    Maybe around 2-1/2, or 3 years or age.
    Anonymous

• we switched my son from a crib to a toddler bed when he was 2 years and 4 months. he never climbed out of his crib. we switched him to be sure he would be adjusted before the baby was born. this was in february and he adjusted right away, and baby is due in june.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:27 PM on May. 3, 2010

• wow and early walker, huh? :) i think my sister was 9.5 mos when she started walking though.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:28 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I dont think there is an to early age. Some parents NEVER have their children in a crib. I nannied and their children started off sleeping in a full size bed with them. I moved my daughter just last week and all kinds of ppl were saying she is to young. Every mom knows their children if you think shes ready for it then go for it. My daughter is 16 months old yes the first night I slept in her floor to make sure she was okay..she will climb into her bed but has only gotten out a hand full of times but shes not really a climber either.
    amberh0225

Answer by amberh0225 at 11:56 PM on May. 3, 2010