adding a cat to the family.

So I used to have 2 cats in this small 2 bedroom apartment. When I got pregnant wiith my daughter everyone convinced me that I cant have cats with a baby, so i got rid of them. after I had the baby I figured I didnt really have to get rid of them, maybe just 1 to reduce the amount of cat hair but thats about it. Anyways My daughter is 17 months now and Im pregnant again. The thing is Im really depressed and I think getting a cat may help me feel better seeing how I have no friends who live in the same state as me and Im unhappy all the time. So I think a cat, just 1 will brighten my mood. Do you think its a good idea seeing how I have 1 toddler and Im having another baby. I think it would be good in teaching my daughter to be gentle befor the baby comes.

What do you think ladies?

Lucky13x

Asked by Lucky13x at 11:05 AM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • I have never understood why people think babies and cats can't live in the same house. I had I don't know how many people try to tell me to get rid of my two cats when I was pregnant with my son. You should have heard some of the nonsense I was told- cats steal babies breath, they're dirty, etc. All crazy stuff. Just put the litter box in a room closed off to your children- we put ours in the bathroom and put a cat door in the bathroom door so we can keep it closed at all times. You can get one of those litter track mats that keeps litter from tracking everywhere. Cat hair isn't really a problem if you get a short haired cat and vacuum regularly. Studies have show that kids that have early exposure to cats and dogs generally are less likely to develop an allergy to dander. In other words, get you a cat if you want one! :) BTW- I also have a dog now too with a baby on the way. The more the merrier I say!
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 11:36 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. It's not just the cat hair but they also track litter all over on their paws. And with babies on the floor that would be gross. I would wait until your done with babies and the kids are old enough that they are not putting their fingers and toys in their mouth anymore.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:07 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't listen to anbody but yourself. Everybody has an opinion. I f cats make you happy go for it. I have always had cats I have three children 13,11 and 5 months old. Two of the cats we have had since the oldest were born. My children love them. They bring alot of joy to all of us. I have never had a problem with any of the children and the cats. There are many animal owners in the world and I'm sure that some of them have kids. Just don't let the baby play in the litter box and you will be fine.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:23 AM on May. 3, 2010