beach trip next month....

my dd and i are going on a beach trip next month for a week with my side of the family...hubby has to stay behind bc of work...bummer,...but, i'm trying to figure out how to keep my dd entertained so it's not a screaming fit the entire 8-9 hour car ride...we're riding with my dad and step mom so she'll have more people to entertain her lol, and i invested in a portable dvd player so she can watch favorite movies..and of course i'll have snacks and a toy bag....is there anything you ladies can think of that i'm forgeting or something you can add in that i haven't thought of?

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 11:07 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Travel

• You didn't say how old she is, but from the screaming fit comment, I'd guess that she is fairly young. I drove from Denver to Los Angeles with a 2.5 yr old, and 7 & 9 yr olds. The older ones were great in the back playing with stuffed animals and video games. Which left the little one in the middle row on his own. He had some stuffed animals and animal figures. He mainly played with those. He also loved to lock the doors, and then I'd unlock them. We would also work on his color recognition with the colors of semi cabs and cars. We would also count them together. It was actually a great trip.

I would plan to take a break every 2 hours just to get out and stretch and let her run for a few minutes. Then maybe lure her back into the car with a special treat - like a movie or snack she doesn't get very often.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:08 PM on May. 3, 2010

• sorry..she'll be 2 when we go.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:27 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Kids tunes. One of those $1 radio and ear phones from the dollar store. A little fan.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:09 PM on May. 3, 2010

• maybe you could take a few puppets or soemthing the adults could use to entertain her. Stop often and have some old and some new toys. the best things are toys she can use to interact with u. Even things like moraccas that make noise so you can all be in a band or something.
    Anonymous

• I have found that anything that lights up is great, glow sticks, moving lights, a glo board all of those things entertain well and if it gets dark work well to keep kids from getting scared.
    Anonymous

• Mine always took a pop-up book , a stuffed animal, and a doll, and a preskool learning toy. like something from sesame street where she learns something.And yes always have a spare bottle or a travel sippy cup with you at all times in case she gets thirsty, alot. .
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:05 AM on May. 4, 2010