My husband 's nephew was in the mental hosiptal

He was suicidal and was in the mental ward for 1 week. He is bi polar and the doctor say it dangerous. My husband and my MIL will not tell anyone in the family. i think the family should know that he has mental issue. Please tell me that the family has the right to know because i do not want anyone hurt because these two fail to see how dangerous a mentally ill person is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Is he around little kids? Suicidal is not dangerous to others,, my Aunt is bi-polar and with medicine this can be controlled, I think you need to keep this to yourself and let your MIL handle it,,, the only way anybody needs to know is if he is a provider for children,,, mental disorder is a disease and if they want it to remain private you should respect their wishes. Bi-polar is Way diffeernt the psychotic!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:24 AM on May. 3, 2010

• you should respect their wishes. Bi-polar is Way diffeernt the psychotic!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:27 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I think it's not your place to tell anyone. You know and you have the right to do what you thing for yourself and your family but you don't need to be telling other family members. I doubt the Dr meant this person was a physical danger to anyone and hopefully he was put on meds. His immediate family needs to help him to continue to take those meds. Being bi polar does not mean you are a dangerous person but it can be dangerous for the patient if they don't take their meds. There are some who might become violent but that isn't most bi polars. Sure, if this man has tried to kill someone and it has been decided that that is the only way he acts when on his highs or lows then he should be in a institution but if that isn't the case his family needs to make sure he takes his meds and sees his dr. as he is supposed to.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:30 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Suicidal is not the same as homocidal. I understand your concerns, but really, I think this is up to your in-laws. Please, don't assume that a mental illness automatically means dangerous. With proper care, and a good doc, your dh's nephew will be OK. It will take some time to find the right combo of meds, and he will need love & support more than questions, whispers, and "looks".
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:34 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My daughter in law attempted to commit suicide last year and was admitted to a mental health facility. She is also bi-polar. It's no one's business but hers and those she chooses to tell are HER business. Not mine.Stay out of your nephew in law's business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 3, 2010

• How sad. I am sorry for your family. It is a shame mental illness carries such a stigma..even in this informed age. This young man would be much better served if family and friends could/would rally around him in support of his illness. While I don't think it is your place to expose the issue I do think people would be better served if we could truly get rid of the stigma.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:31 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I am so sorry for you . I have dealt with people close to me with bi-polar and schtizophrenia ....secrecy is never a good isea. Everyone needs to get in the same page to help his nephew. People that are living with him should know as well...there are signs to look for that everyone should be aware of as well. Is he being put on meds?? receiving outpatient treatment?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:10 PM on May. 3, 2010

• ok, if the guy commits suicide in front of a bunch of little kids, they are pretty much gonna be scarred for life. People with mental illness can only thrive with a family full of support. Keeping it a secret is belittling him. He's sick. You wouldn't hide him in a corner if he had cancer and was getting treatment. Mental illness isn't something to be embarrassed about. It's something to work through, and to learn about your family bonds and each other through.

There are many BRILLIANT people who have suffered through illnesses. The key is find their triggers, support them with staying on their meds, and help them find the gift in them- that's the ying of of the disease. For instance, many people with mental illness are gifted artists.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:22 PM on May. 3, 2010