do/did you feel your whole belly get hard when you had BH?

because i know i am having some BH. i'm 32 weeks, and maybe a couple of times a day i will have a strong cramping feeling, like the contractions i had with my son only MUCH less intense. so i know it's BH ctx, but i never notice my whole belly getting hard.

i'm not saying i'm worried at all, just curious :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• your belly shpuldnt be getting hard if its braxton, well is it painful? if its painless than ur ok. if it hurts like menstrual cramps id rehydrate lay on ur left side empty ur bladder all that good stuff. if it doesnt go away or progressivly gets worse call your doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Mine did with all 3 babies, I had them all through my pregnancies.. Remember all women are different so what you're having may not be what the next one experienced... Your body is preparing itself for delivery so as long as you're not worried I'm sure it's normal. If you do get worried, go see your OB..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:33 AM on May. 3, 2010

• anon :29... yes your belly SHOULD get hard with a BH. OP... you are describing classic BH minus the cramping. It is common to cramp at the end of pregnancy but you just have the coincidence of both at once
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:47 AM on May. 3, 2010

• anon :29 here i am an OB Triage nurse i asked here if there was pain associated. i have seen all to many women come in thinking they where having bh and thats why they stayed home for awhile before going to the hospital. look it up bh should be more or less painless. some cramping is normal, but if it feels like contraction pain, with tightening sounds like preterm labor. this lady came in at 32 weeks even and had the same symptoms and was born early because ignorant people like you dont take these kinda things seriously.
    Anonymous

• OP

i wouldn't say painful but uncomfortable. but they aren't regular at all. like on thursday i think it happened 3 times, on friday maybe once, on saturday a couple of times, i don't think at all yesterday. so my understanding is that a couple BH ctx in a day is nothing to worry about, but if i get a few in an hour, i would call to ask.
    Anonymous

• my thoughts are that bh are not so much your uterus practicing for labor, but rather, your body telling you you are overdoing it. i had the tightening of the belly, which i thought was braxton hicks contractions with my second son. he was born at 32 weeks. like pp said, all women are different. in my opinion, when this happens you should focus on what is going on at the time. are you walking fast, picking up children? going up and down stairs? are you dehydrated? i have had 2 pregnancies since my preemie, and out of fear now, when my belly tightens, i drink water and lay down. for me personally, i find fighting with dh will bring on contractions!
    i wish for you the best of luck! and the smoothest delivery :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:33 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Yes, it gets tight, loose, tight, loose, tight ,loose. So annoying!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:07 PM on May. 3, 2010

• anon :29.... you seriously called me ignorant?? You FLAT OUT SAID that a BH SHOULDNT cause your belly to tighten. I understand that you "think" you are a OB triage nurse but I'm sorry... I have NEVER heard of an OB saying that BH dont cause the stomach to tighten! I am not referring to pain or no pain, I am referring to the tightening of your uterus during a "practice contraction" or BH. You SERIOUSLY think that your uterus doesnt tighten, causing your belly to get hard, during a braxton hicks contraction? Care to post un anon??
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:11 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Agreed with Jaydin, about stomach tightening. It does. I am 37 weeks and around 35 weeks I started with BH contractions. My stomach would get tight and loose, tight and loose. My OB said its NORMAL, and its from the BHC's.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:22 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Oh, and this is my third pregnancy, and all 3 times I've had my stomach get tight. (from Bhcs.)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:24 PM on May. 3, 2010