Not growing

I took my son in for his 9 month on Friday and was told he had only gained 2 oz since his 6 month. He is off the charts small for length as well, only 25 inches. I am not sure what to do to help my son grow. He eats all the time. He nurses every 1.5 to 2 hours and also gets table and baby foods maybe 5 times a day. He is supplemented with formula at daycare as well, so I know it isn't just my milk that is causing him not to grow. His dr told me to stop nursing and that was it. I refuse as I know that is what is best for him. I am not sure what more I can do.

jombmomi

Asked by jombmomi at 11:25 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't stop nursing,, but believe it or not some people's breast milk just isn't the way it is supposed to be,, my cousin calls her breast milk skim milk, LOL! I would take a really good look at my diet and make sure your eating healthy,, BF is great for bonding, but perhaps yours just isn't as rich as it should be? Try giving a bit more formula,, was the doctor concerned? I would keep in close contact with his ped. Good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:31 AM on May. 3, 2010

• don't stop nursing!!! that will NOT stop growth!! thats absolutely rediculous!

some kids really slow down in that age range....

what're the sizes of your family members? Genetics makes a HUGE difference in sizes of kids! my middle dd is a tiny kid - she never grew much (is barely 35lbs and she's almost 7). there're lots of tiny petite people in our family. oldest is Tall and slender.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:33 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Is the formula that he is supplemented with high calorie? My DD had Failure to thrive and have to have a high cal perscription formula. She was off the charts small for her first 7 years before she finally got to a normal weight.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:37 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I don't know about anyone else.. but needing to breastfeed a child of 9 months every 1.5-2 hours means he's not getting enough milk. I would take a serious look at your diet and until my breastmilk production went up.. I'd give my small baby formula... you can get a tube and link it to the breast, to supplement as you feed, but you're obviously have trouble with it... and have for the past nine months or your doctor wouldn't be so concerned to the point of telling you to stop breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• how is the rest of your baby's development? is he pretty much on time with the milestones? does he seem interested in the world around him? like pp mentioned, are others in the family small or petite? was he a preemie?there is a seperate preemie growth chart. how long was he ebf for? there is a growth chart for breastfed babies, you may want to look at that too, even though your lo is getting formula and solids.
    just a few other things to discuss with dh and your dr.
    good luck!
    also...the growth chart i looked at for my short 5 yo, stopped at 5%, so off the chart was not really off the chart.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:27 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Babies DO plateau a bit. Personally, *I* would not be concerned if he's not losing weight, he's meeting milestones, and you're changing the right amount of diapers. If I had to guess, I'd say that he'll probably have another spurt sometime after 12 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:55 PM on May. 3, 2010