What are all the need to know info on buying your first house?

My credit is iffy at best; mostly not there at all. I have always paid cash for stuff. Long story short, I live with my mother and younger siblings after moving in to help them out after my parents got a divorce. Now I am told I have 8 mos -1 yr to get a place and move myself and my pets. It would be easy to find a place to rent for just myself. But, I have two horses, four large dogs, and 1 barn kitty. I can not in good faith give up my animals. The horse market is crap for pasture pets like my horses and I have tried to rehome my dogs before. They became so upset they refused to eat or drink for a couple of days. I ended up taking them back.
There are mini farms around here that go for about 79,000-90,000. That is what I am looking for. But, I would like a heads up before I go to a Realtor. I want to know what to ask about, what to look for, and any advice on the total costs of things. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Most realtors around here won't even show you any places unless you walk in with a pre approval from the bank.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:47 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Go visit with your bank before you meet with a realtor. If you can get pre-approved for a loan you will be one step ahead, and it sounds like financing may be one of your biggest obstacles. You will need a certain % of the purchase price on hand for a down payment, and you will also need to have money on hand for closing costs; your bank will be able to give you a very good idea about what is standard and required with your credit and where you live. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on May. 3, 2010

• While visiting with a bank is a wonderful idea. You don't have to do it first. Any good realtor will listen to you and your needs rather than trying to sell you their own personal listings. I would hunt around the internet listings and see if one particular realtor seems to be the area expert in small farms and start with that one.

Anonymous

• SERIOUSLY- You are going to go in debt $70,000 to $90,000 FOR YOUR PETS? Are you insane? What about your children? Do they not matter more than your pets?

Quite honestly if you are living with your mom that means that just paying rent is going to be hard enough on you. I'm sorry about your pets- I really am. But family comes first. Even before pets. Take care of you and your kids first and then worry about your pets.
    Anonymous

• Of course the kids matter( but I do not have any as of yet it does not matter.)....but to me, so do my pets. Pets are a life long commitment. OR at least their life span commitment. I will not dump them just cause it is not convenient for me any longer. Plus, most of them I have had for 5-6 yrs. If it came down to it....I would rather have them put down than take them to a shelter. Being the breeds they are, the coloring, and their size...well, they would not stand a chance. As I said earlier..I tried to rehome them to good family's. But, it did not work out.
    Yes, I live with my mother. But it was to help her and my younger siblings out rather than for me. I rented places before hand. I just think that this time I would rather buy a home. It is about time I tried that avenue. Yes, it is expensive. I also realize it will be rather stressful. But I am ready for it. I just want a heads up on anything I should watch out for.
    roxy11011

Answer by roxy11011 at 5:18 PM on May. 4, 2010