What would you do?

My sister lives about 15 miles away from me. She has 3 kids, ages 2, 3, and 8 and I have 3 kids ages 1, 4, and 6. I have her babysit my youngest 2 on Friday afternoons while I work for about 3 hours. She's a sahm, and I drive a school bus. For the last few weeks she always seems to have something going on and cant do it, so I take my kids with me, not that big a deal but I hate exposing my baby to the germs. Whenever she needs a sitter she expects me to drop everything and do it. She also wont ever bring them to my house (which is far cleaner than hers) but i always have to take my kids to her house to be watched. If I tell her I don't have time to drive all the way over but she can bring them here she just says nevermind and I feel guilty, so I'll just do it. It makes my husband upset that she "takes advantage of me". I love my sister and her kids, I just don't really know how to deal with this to make everyone happy

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 11:36 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well then don't try to make every one happy. do what is best for you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Oh I forgot to add that I pay her to watch my kids, and I've never asked her for money to watch hers.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 11:38 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I think to keep the peace you need to have a talk and both find new sitters! I think you ARE being taken advantage of, but I would just be "busy" as well, the next time she needs you,, don't start drama, just find a new person,, I bet when you don't ask for a bit,, she is going to address the situation!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:41 AM on May. 3, 2010

• well what I would do is expect exactly what she expects. if she expects you to pay her to watch yours then you should expect her to pay you. If she expects you to drive to her house to watch your kids then she should expect to drive to your house when she wants you to watch hers. some people need to know that they cant do whatever they want and you shouldnt have to do what she wants you to do!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:44 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Why do you feel guilty? Do you owe your sister anything? You are paying her and she does not pay you. She is not dependable. Would you take that from a non-family member. No of course not. You would fire them. Well don't fire her as a sister, but do fired her as a sitter. Simplify your relationship, by finding another sitter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on May. 3, 2010

• She sound like my selfish sister. Tell her no, stick to it. Fair is fair, and she is lacking it.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:55 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My mil usually watches my kids for me, but she owns a business so she doesn't do it friday afternoons so she can do her payroll. I feel bad not watching my sisters kids for her because she doesn't really know anyone else. Although she has lived in this town her whole life, she's pretty much a hermit. Also her 3 yr old has some developmental delays, and he's terrified of other people and I kind of feel protective over him, like I shouldn't let him go through the trauma of a new sitter.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 11:56 AM on May. 3, 2010