Not eating & Breastfeeding

Someone told me that if I stopped eating and only drank water and continued to breastfeed I will lose weight.. Mostly because when a person stops eating the body naturally starts taking from stored fats to produce milk, is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Parenting

• No your milk will stop and ur baby will starve
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:42 AM on May. 3, 2010

• If you stop eating you will lose weight no matter what lol. It's not a good idea, though, because malnutrition is even more dangerous than obesity.

That said, you have to be severely malnourished in order for your milk quality to suffer. YOU will suffer... your body will steal nutrients from your tissues and bones to use in your milk.

If you really want to lose weight, change your lifestyle. Eat healthy foods in moderate quantities, exercise regularly, and indulge only occaisionally. That's all it takes.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:45 AM on May. 3, 2010

• You will lose weight for a time,, but your metabolism will slow down,, and then when you begin to eat,,you will gain it all back,, just eat healthy and save the sever dieting for after your done breast feeding,, actually breast feeding helps your body go back to pre-baby weight,, don't starve yourself,, because your baby will not get the nutrients it needs!!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:50 AM on May. 3, 2010

• i really hope you are not planning to do this. your baby needs the nutrition from the food you eat. if you atop eatting, your baby wont get what he/she needs to support he/she system for healthy growth. i would think you would know this though?
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 11:50 AM on May. 3, 2010

• You will probably stop producing milk... Just eat sensibly... stick to the basics: Leans protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies and water only.

Exercise... take that baby for walks. Wearing him/her will help your workout.

You don't need to starve yourself to loose weight... and starving is actually counter-productive because it screws up your metabolism.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:51 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Likely you will lose your milk supply. If you do not eat right then yes the body does take what it needs from your stored fat and from the bones etc., but this is NOT a healthy way to lose weight for either you or the baby.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:45 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You will lose weight naturally with just the BFing. You burn more calories BFing than not BFing. If you stop eating your milk will dry up, but before it dries up your body will steal from you to make the milk your baby needs. Your body will steal calcium from your bones and other vitamins and proteins wherever it can get it. You will get weak and sick and find it hard to function. You will also starve your baby by doing this. You MUST in take carbs and proteins to make milk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:48 PM on May. 3, 2010

• "You don't need to starve yourself to loose weight... and starving is actually counter-productive because it screws up your metabolism. "

This is very true. I'm now chubby because of the damage I did to my metabolism with 12 years of anorexia. My dr says I'll never be able to fully repair my metabolism now.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:50 PM on May. 3, 2010