Would you not date someone because of their name?

So my girl friend and I were talking about a guy she met over the weekend. He was nice and charming and all that jazz, but she didnt pursue it because of his name. Really?? lol. I kinda understand you might not want to have to say or hear an unappealing name for however long the course of the relationship may be but is that enough of a reason to miss out on The One? Ultimately its her decision of course, but I just find it pretty silly lol. What say you? Would you date someone even if they had a horrendous name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It wouldnt matter to me . Just out of curiosity what was the guys name?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:46 AM on May. 3, 2010

• It wouldn't matter to me. If I really hated his name that much I would come up with a petname that I used in place. A nickname, or even use his middle name, but I definately wouldn't not take a chance on someone JUST because of their name lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:51 AM on May. 3, 2010

• if i can't pronouce the name probably i would. but if i can pronouce it i would probably still presue it if it was different. i like people with unusual names. makes life interesting. usually they are the most fascinating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 3, 2010

• if their name was derrick, i wouldn't date them...
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 11:52 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I guess that would make things kind of difficult, especially if it is hard to pronounce. Most people would just come up with a nickname instead of just ending the relationship.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:52 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I would not let a name stop me if I really liked the person. I'd consider calling them by their middle name making up a special nickname for the person and use that instead (if they are ok with it). In our family my hubs Grandma always called hubs Grandpa by his middle name (not sure why, I think there might have been others with his same name). My Grandma always called my Grandpa by a nickname (she did not like Grandpas given name).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:52 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Are we talking first name or last name here? First names can always be replaced by nicknames. You might be surprised at what some people's real names are if you only know them by their nicknames. Last names aren't as tricky as they used to be. You don't have to change your if you get married. If his name was enough to turn her off, he didn't have that much going for him in the first place. Would I date a guy whose last name was Buttlicker (a joke from The Office) No, I'm sorry if his family was too stupid to have that changed a few generations ago then I don't even want to meet them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Maybe someone hurt her with that name.? I think that would be hard to get over but i wouldnt not date someone cause I didnt like a name.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:59 AM on May. 3, 2010

• hmmmm....nowadays....i dont think so, however i do think it would be tough to date a guy with either my brothers name, or my dads name...ohhh and lets add my exs name in there too..lol..but i wouldnt not date a guy because of it...it would just be..awkward..weird..creepy...LOL

i remember when i was in highschool i met a guy i really liked..and he liked me to, but, noone knew i liked him, because i was embarrased to say that i did, because of his name..his name was kelly...but it was more because i didnt want people thinking i was dating a girl....but i was like 15 at the time..so..lol..i was young and dumb!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:01 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I would never date a Richard or a Larry.
    Anonymous