Does watching TV help your baby learn to talk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe if they were watching something that was made to teach them words. If you just put on the TV then no. Reading to your kid and talking to him as if he understands helps them learn how to speak.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:07 PM on May. 3, 2010

• no.

turns them into little sluglike zombies
    Anonymous

• Well, yes and no. If you are constantly talking and pointing out things and carrying on conversations with them from infancy so they have first hand experience with someone talking to them, then, yes...it acts as a suppement to that. If you don't talk and stick them in front of it all day and they don't get real interaction..it'll help a little but not much.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:08 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Babies learn to talk by interacting with its parents. Talk to your kid, don't plant them in front of the tv.
    Anonymous

• No, studies show that watching TV actually hinders brain development & causes delays in many areas of development including speech. Better to read books, sing, or even just walk around talking to your child to stimulate speech.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:10 PM on May. 3, 2010

• No. A baby learns to talk from its parents and shouldnt be watching t.v.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:10 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I know we all think TV is evil..but after one episode of Dora the explorer my 16 month old was raving about backpacks, maps, counting to 3 in Spanish, and repeating all the Spanish words after Dora would ask you to say them. I do not normally let my DD watch TV and I was completely surprised by her reaction. She also understood the action verb pull because Dora needed help pulling something. Now she pulls on things, says pull, and makes straining noises. She also dances around when they sing. I now let my DD watch Dora.

Anonymous

• I disagree. With those saying it hinders speech. My son watched TONS of TV, his speech was/is WAY beyond his peers. He not onnly spoke full sentences by 12 months, he could say things like Paleontologist. So, yeah, balme all that hindering on bad parenting and nature, not the TV.

ANON 12:18 is right.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:21 PM on May. 3, 2010

• NO! In fact research shows the more the tv is on (baby watching it or not) the fewer words the baby/child knows!

Just because someone's kid watched tons of TV and has a big vocabulary does not mean it is okay, it just means either they got lucky, or their kids would have had an even bigger vocab. w/o TV!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:27 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Talking to children is what helps them learn to talk. Studies have shown if the tv is on children talk less, and parents talk MUCH less, both things inhibit a child's learning to talk.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:56 PM on May. 3, 2010