Can a male puppy gets his own mother pregnant?

Can a male puppy gets his own mother pregnant? If so then what will happen to the puppies? Will they survive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Pets

• They'll be fine but usually inbreeding results in stupidity. Get one or the other fixed.
    Anonymous

• Yes he can... and the puppies may or may not be ok. Its hard to guess.
    Anonymous

• Yes and the resulting babies will be fine.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:08 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Yes it can. One is male and one is female! The puppies usually are deformed in some way, just like if humans inbreed
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:09 PM on May. 3, 2010

• He can get her pregnant but some if not all will have birth defects.. Deaf, blind or heart problems being the biggest fear. Then comes mishapen heads that result in brain damage.. That sort of thing.
    Anonymous

• my grandma rescued a female dog and 2 of her puppies and the son got her pregnant.....she had 6 puppies and all were perfectly fine ( she kept most of them--she lives on a huge farm) ....but thats not to say it is like that everytime, they could have problems, they could be fine..... just like any other time an animal has babies.... we onve had a dalmation who had a litter of 5 and 2 of them were severly deformed and one was deaf....and the father was also a purebred ( not "family")
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:15 PM on May. 3, 2010

• unfortnately its a practice that is done quite often
    Anonymous

• You do understand how sex works, right?

yes, and they will likely be OK.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:36 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I figured they could get each other pregnant I just wasn't sure what would happen to the puppies! We have been doing a great job of keeping them apart, boys go out and the girls came in, the mother just happened to sneak out when I was taking the trash out and I didn't happen to notice until it was too late. She even had her pants on that she wears for the bleeding, they got the pants off some how and hooked up in a matter of seconds! I feel awful! I mean I have breed dogs before that is what the mother is for, but not with her own pups! I have a male dog for her and I wasn't planning on letting her have pups this time. Gosh I feel so bad! I am just so nervous as to what will happen to the puppies!!! Thank you to everyone for you answers!
    Anonymous

• OP- it happens... If you look at common breeding practices, you'll see the tight family knit. Inbreeding (though I disagree w/ it) is the common practice, to continue a certain trait. most "purebred" dogs, or any of notable pedigree, have very narrow blood lines. The puppies should be absolutely fine. Don't make yourself sick over it. You also have the option to terminate.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:59 PM on May. 3, 2010