Gettin off of medicaid

My SO makes $30000 a yr and I work a part time job. He says it's foolish to get off of it. I don't. I've tried to make goals for myself to get off of the system and people think it's crazy. Is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it depends on your health in general. I wish I could get my son off medicaid but because of medical conditions I know I couldn't pay out of pocket for what my share would be even with insurance. On the other hand I know he would get better care on private insurance. But if all things were normal and he was a perfectly healthy kid I would do it.

Anonymous

• If you have the ability to get private insurance without killing your budget.....then yes. Othewise, you do what is necessary to keep your family healthy.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:27 PM on May. 3, 2010

• ((OP)) My son is very healthy so I plan to get him off.
    Anonymous

• If you can do it then do it. It always feels good to be able to be able to provide the things your children need. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get my youngest son off of medicaid but every time we try to insure him they deny him because of previous medical conditions.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:29 PM on May. 3, 2010

• ((OP)) Juggalette, that is terrible how they can turn your child down. :-/ This healthcare system is messed up.
    Anonymous

• My husband and I got slammed with a $1,300 ER bill for our 3yo. We do not make enough to pay our own insurance but make too much to be on medicaid. I'd say stay on it emergencies DO happen. I sure do wish I has some kinda assistence right now.
    Jade812

Answer by Jade812 at 2:33 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Yes, emergencies do happen but you learn how to deal with them. If your son is healthy and you can afford to remove him from Medicaid, I would do so. It is in no way crazy to desire independence from government assistance/insurance. There is a strong sense of pride that comes with knowing you are able to separate yourself from the system. I faced my own bit of anxiety when I took my kids off Medicaid so many years ago. There are still days when I get frustrated that I can't afford certain things because of some odd medical bill that needs to be paid but in the end I feel better knowing it was my bill and it did get paid.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:02 PM on May. 3, 2010

• my husband makes decent money and we still get medical for the kids and the only time we use it is for wellness check ups but at the same time i dont want to be without insurance for them in case something does happen...as long you arent abusing the system i see no harm in keeping it..
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:28 PM on May. 3, 2010

• well I think your stupid, honestly.. my husband and I make way over that a year and quaify. guess what I love my FREE insurance. we pay over $1400 a month in taxes were intilted to something for free after paying that.. < he also gets work insurance and med caid is our secondary
    Anonymous