How important are your dogs in your family?

My husband and I planned a small trip this weekend to Tunica, Ms. (It has casinos and all) And we planned it this way beacuse it's the only weekend for about another 4 months that my SS won't be with us, so we had it free. Anyways, my dog is having surgery tomorrow that can't be put off. She's just a baby and it's a pretty major surgery. Well, she can't stay at my moms because she has the strict no dogs in the house policy. My MIL's dog is super mean and she can't stay there. So now we have no dog babysitter. We can't just leave her at home and anyways, my husband is mad. We also leave in an apartment so leaving her outside wouldn't work either. I called the vet and asked to board her but our dog has anxiety problems and being with someone she doesn't know is extremely hard for her. Ugh. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would cancel my trip. It sucks, but animals are a responsibility.
    Anonymous

• Do you have a friend that could stay at your apartment and dog sit for you? Is there anyway that you could give her some calming medication so that she could be boarded at the vets? Otherwise I would probably cancel the trip because she does need to be taken care of.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:37 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My dogs are very much a part of my family, I would also cancell the trip until I can find a suiteable solution.

Answer by older at 12:47 PM on May. 3, 2010

• If the vet is willing to board her, that's what I would do. If she's having surgery on Tuesday, she should be doing ok by the weekend. I would not cancel the trip.
    Anonymous

• I would cancel my trip also! what kind of surgery is she having?
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 1:13 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I would board her at the vet. It's a safe environment and she'll be getting excellent care. I wouldn't be willing to cancel my trip so that's a reason why I won't own a dog.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:01 PM on May. 3, 2010

• OP :: Thanks everyone! We are cancelling the trip. I know it sounds weird to ppl that don't own animals, but they are like our children and with her hurting and feeling bad, I don't want to leave her somewhere that she doesn't know anyone and isn't being pampered or played with.
    Anonymous

• That's why we don't have a pet. My son is enough responsibility. Take your dog to a kennel. Whenever I'd go on vacation with my parents they'd take them to the vet and they have a kennel there. It costs but that may be a good option.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:40 PM on May. 3, 2010

• You know at the vet's that she'd be in good care. she would get out to potty, be pet, and played with. She won't be too distraught if you leave for a few days, especially if she's on any kind of pain meds. If she starts to sweat it, the vet can give her some calming agents. I think the vet is best, rather than cancel your trip. EVERYONE needs a vacation. TRUST ME.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:59 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I'd leave it at the vet's. A dog with anxiety? seriously.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:36 PM on May. 3, 2010