How do get your toddler to take medicine?

ddmac10

Asked by ddmac10 at 12:34 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• get the liquid kind and squeeze it in their mouth my the cheek
    Anonymous

• DS is on meds for the 1st time and the nurses at the hospital told us to put it in his bottle. Works great!
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 1:11 PM on May. 3, 2010

• it depends on the age my son can get a temper hes 3 1/2 and i tell him the med is to make him better he will usually be like okay will a smile on his face
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 1:29 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Well I guess it would depend on what kind. We get the flavored Tylenol with the dropper and he's pretty receptive to that. I have heard that some medicine companies also make dissolvable strips that might be good to try with a child who is more medicine resistant.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:04 PM on May. 3, 2010

• So far my girls have had no problems taking medicine, my son did have problems with one....he held his nose and gulped it down.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 4:16 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I have been very unsuccessful with this! None of my kids cooperated. These days, I cut a straw really short and let them suck up the medicine from the little cup. That seems to work for us.
    NearSeattleMom

Answer by NearSeattleMom at 7:35 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Wish I could help...my daughter LOVES to take her medicine (she's an odd one). My son, I have to hold him down and use a dropper to get him to take it....no finesse in that but, hey, it works!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:28 PM on May. 6, 2010

• with liquid medication use a an oral syringe and out the tip at the back of the cheek near the throat. it bypasses a lot of the taste without chooking . dissolve strips on tongue with a lot of water after. if you are dealing with a nasty tasting medication chase it down with a shot of grape juice. ( grape has the stongest taste profile and often overrides the flavor in the mouth.) if you need to give oral iron supplement ( which is gross.) take a spoonful of chocolate syrup directly after. great for covering the taste.
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 3:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2010