When is it to much?

My oldest, who turned 2 in Feb, has been having a problem with going to the bathroom. She used to only go poo about once a day, if we were lucky. Then she had about a week where she was going 6-8 times a day, got a bad diaper rash, and it wasn't just a little at a time.. it was enough to be coming out of her diaper. I had taken her to the doctor, and she said to just make sure she wasn't getting dehydrated. She was fine for a couple weeks, but now she is back to going 7 or so times a day, and shes not eatting much... this started friday and I do plan on calling her doctor.. Just one of the last times I had her in, her doctor made me feel bad because I take her in when I guess I shouldnt.. at least according to her doctor. Just looking for some advice while awaiting them to call me back. Thanks,

Skye-Angel

Asked by Skye-Angel at 12:45 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that's not normal...my dh goes alot and he has ibs get your baby cheked out & if her doctor thinks you are crazy for being concerned, i'd change doctors
    Anonymous

• I took my DD in cuz she couldn't sit down the rash was so bad (she was like 11 months and couldn't walk). The doctor acted like I was stupid for bringing her in and then finally gave me something for the rash that DD ended up being allergic to. UGH. Sometimes doctors are worthless. I would make sure that you're washing your hands before changing her diaper and preparing meals. It's just a bug that people get. If you're trying to potty train, make sure your child washes her hands.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• could very likely be a food that she doesn't get along so well with. OR that her body is trying to readjust. If she eats a lot of dairy, meat, and refined flours, her system has to learn what to do with whole foods. Our bodies are supposed to eliminate as many times as we consume every day. If she had 7 meals/snacks, she should go that many times. If it is not watery, I wouldn't be too concerned about dehydration. Just offer her plenty of water.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:49 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I would be concerned about an allergy or IBS. Have you introduced any new foods? Try keeping a food journal and look for another pediatrician.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:47 PM on May. 3, 2010

• it is your peds job to cater to your worries as a mom... it isnt like they arent getting paid...
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 2:33 PM on May. 3, 2010

• my son had a viral thing last week and had diaherrea for 7 days straight probably 4-8 diapers a day of it. He had a horrible rash too from it. The only thing my dr told me to do was let it run its course and give pedialyte to keep hydrated. Its not fun at all but I hope your lil one gets better soon.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:50 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I'd be suspcious of a food allergy as well. One other suggestion. As soon as the problem starts, limit how much you wipe to just enough to clean, let it dry a little then put on a balm (like Balmex or Desitin) to protect the skin. That's what one of the nurses in our dr's office told me to do. The constant contact with poop causes the skin to breakdown. Just make sure the skin is dry before putting Desitin or whatever on. As for your doctor, any one that makes you feel bad for bringing your child in isn't worth it. I'd change if possible.
    Anonymous