Is buying used cloth diapers okay?

I am switching to cloth diapers and will be usuing them with our new arrival in July and my 19 month old. I found the brand that I want on craigs list and would save $40 by buying some of them this way. My husband thinks that buying diapers that have been used is not a good idea because they hold bodily fluids. However, the lady only used these for two months with a newborn. They are Happy Heiny One Size. My question is:

Would you buy used cloth diapers?

snugglybuggly

Asked by snugglybuggly at 12:49 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Def not... but to each their own... My mom reused cloth diapers with 7 of her 8 kids... guess it's the same thing.
    Anonymous

• If they are in good condition, DEFINITELY. They can be sanitized.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:51 PM on May. 3, 2010

• yup! they can be washed ;)
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't but i don't buy i used clothes for my kids either but if you want to that's up to you
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:57 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Why not just wash them when you get home?? I saved all of my old ones for dish towels/ dust cloths!! That is those that made it, LOL! One thing Be sure to always use the extra rinse cycle,, your not going to be able to avoid using bleach or bleach alternative,,,,and this will ensure baby's hiney will stay nice and rash free! I loved using cloth,, but found it really hard to keep up on laundry,, so you might need more than you think!!! Happy RASH free baby momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:58 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Oh ps,, they will be too small for the 19 month old,, and you may just want to keep him in disposable,,, at 19 months he will notice the difference,,,some kids do better with remaining the same,, plus it is almost time to potty train,, that is just my OP--don't need a lecture from anyone,, LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:00 PM on May. 3, 2010

• strip them by washing repeatedly in HOT water - until you don't see any suds.

careful with vinegar it can react with your water (our old house I used vinegar, new house it turned them icky smelling)

most of mine were used.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:01 PM on May. 3, 2010

• yep.. look at them first and decide... like they said, they can be sanitized :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:01 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Just strip them once you get them... I have several used diapers and they still work great!

And Kimi: if they're OS diapers, they should fit the 19 mo old just fine and help to PL faster (though, most 19 mo/olds aren't ready yet)

OP, remember that they may not fit the baby perfectly until about 6 weeks, though. Even most "OS" diapers are pretty big on newborns... might want to get some NB prefolds and covers as well (which you can sell easily afterward... check diaperswappers.com for used).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:42 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Yep! Just sanitize them first. Although one size diapers tend to not work so well for newborns for the first few weeks. I have a few covers I bought used. I use prefolds, and they're inexpensive anyway, so I just went brand new on those.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 4:30 PM on May. 3, 2010