Is buying used cloth diapers okay:

I am switching to cloth diapers and will be usuing them with our new arrival in July and my 19 month old. I found the brand that I want on craigs list and would save $40 by buying some of them this way. My husband thinks that buying diapers that have been used is not a good idea because they hold bodily fluids. However, the lady only used these for two months with a newborn. They are Happy Heiny One Size. My question is:

Would you buy used cloth diapers?

snugglybuggly

Asked by snugglybuggly at 12:50 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sure, but I would wash them in very hot water and put 1 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle. If the baby that wore them ever had thrush, the yeast will still be in the diapers. Vinegar will kill the yeast to keep from passing on the thrush rash.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:58 PM on May. 3, 2010

• i dont see why not as long as u wash them
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 12:58 PM on May. 3, 2010

• go for it, most of mine were used

strip them in the washer in hot hot hot water for a few cycles without detergent to get rid of any buildup from previous people.

its much more affordable.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:59 PM on May. 3, 2010

• most of ours are used.... and after you strip them like PP said then lay them/ hang them in the sun to dry the sun will sanatize them...
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 2:30 PM on May. 3, 2010

• i would buy them used. if you get any with stains, sun bleaching works great!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:40 PM on May. 3, 2010

• We only had second hand cloth diapers

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 PM on May. 3, 2010