whose baby doesn't have their own bedroom?

i wanted to hear from moms who have young babies without their own bedrooms.

we were planning to have our new baby share a room with us for the first few months regardless but were hoping after that to have a room for him but i don't think it's going to happen. i think now he will be sharing a room with us until he starts sleeping through the night, and then he can share with our son who will be 3 when baby is 3 months old. my son didn't sleep through the night until 1.5 so I guess it could be quite a while!

how do you make it work?

once the baby outgrows his bassinet, a crib won't fit so i am thinking we will move our dressers into my son's room. then when he does start sleeping better, we can move the crib into my son's room and they can share. they could even get bunk beds eventually which would allow plenty of room. but until then....

my husband and i neither one feel comfortable co-sleeping btw.

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 1:01 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son slept with me from birth till 5. Then we got bunk beds. At 12, he finally got a seperate room. LOL They do make cosleepers that fit in your bed to make you more comfy.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:13 PM on May. 3, 2010

• my sons crib is in my room. we co-slept until he was 6 months old. now ill put him in bed with me sometimes if he wakes up in the middle of the night. hes been sleeping through the night since 5 months old. my SO works overnight tho.
    we have a 1 bdrm so we have no choice.
    what exactly do u want to know?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:26 PM on May. 3, 2010

• just that, what you said purpul. :) i was just curious how other people set things up if they are sharing a room w/ their baby.

we have a 2 bedroom and a 2.5 year old son but i'm having a 2nd son in a month or 2.

thanks!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:49 PM on May. 3, 2010

• well with my son we was terrified to have him sleep in the bed with us, we was first time parents and was afraid of rolling on him.this was in 2006, we put him in a bassinet right next to my bed there for awhile but he was a long baby so that lasted a few weeks if that. we had a one bedroom apartment then so his crib was also right next to our bed. so when he was a few weeks old he slept him a crib. then when he was just 2 months old he got his own room. he still didnt sleep all the way thru the night and he had his own room. i think he would wake up maybe once or twice at night. now with my daughter she is a different story, she is breast fed so she co sleeps all the time and her mini crib is right next to my bed. but for some odd reason she hates her crib and would rather sleep between me and daddy. she is also in a routine of sleeping with me and husband since we been doing it with her since birth.since she is breast fed.
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:17 PM on May. 3, 2010

• she is 6 months old now and still sleeps in the room with us and sometimes in the bed with us as well and is still breast feeding
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:18 PM on May. 3, 2010

• when I went from 1 kid to 2 kids I wanted the new baby in my room until she slept through the night. I moved the dressers into the closet so we could put the portable crib against that wall, a full size crib would have never fit so I found a small wooden portable crib....at 7 or 8 months we moved her into her sisters room. I know of one couple that took the doors off their closet and put a pack-n- play in there then draped see through curtains with a tension rod across the frame of the door, then had tie backs to seperate the curtains, it was cute, not something I would do though.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:29 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Congrats, i too have 2 girls one is 22 mos and my baby is 4 mos. we had both in our room for awhile, co-slept, got them in their own beds, and now their own rooms. we took our dressers out of our rooms and put it in the extra room so we had room for a crib, toddler bed, and our queen size bed. we stored our clothes in our closet and had got some plastic drawers for our underclothes and stuff and had those in the closet as well. if you have no room for a crib or dont want to co-sleep, how about a pack in play thing where you can bring it out only at night and pack it away during the day.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:44 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My DD is almost 7 months, sleeps with me and daddy and doesn't have her own room. I set all her things up in our room. When she's ready for a toddler bed and what not, I will start a room for her but considering she sleeps with me, I found no need for her own room.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 3:04 PM on May. 3, 2010

• We found out we were having another baby 6 days after we signed a lease for a 2 bedroom (we also have a 2 year old) so, our baby girl is still in a playpen in our room. I hate it. We have a crib but it just takes up so much room and I do not trust my 2 year old to behave even though they both sleep through the night. Hopefully we will be getting a 3 bedroom soon.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 3:41 PM on May. 3, 2010

• my baby sure doesn't ever use her room. all i do is change diapers and give baths in there
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:36 PM on May. 3, 2010