Ultrasounds....

When I was pregnant which was over four years ago, I only had one ultrasound. My SIL who lives in GA says that they give them once a month or every other month where she goes. She went late waiting on medicade so when her child is delivered she will have had three ultrasounds. Is that normal, do people have more then one and is that healthy. I thought I heard when I was prego that it wasn't safe to have that many.

Savymom25

Asked by Savymom25 at 1:14 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It has changed and is safer now. I had 3, one of which was an optional 4D which I had to pay for myself.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:19 PM on May. 3, 2010

• When I was preggo with my first two it was two ultrasounds. One for the very first check up and the other to check the baby out around 20 weeks and then you could also find out the sex. When I was preggo with my third they added another one that was supposed to be use to tell if the baby has autism or not. Not sure how accurate that is but I know people do that one. I had it done just to see my baby again.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 1:19 PM on May. 3, 2010

• we only get two unless something is wrong, which never has been the case. but I think its wise to limit the amount of times you have one and its ok to not have any if you choose as well,.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:23 PM on May. 3, 2010

• OP yeah see that is what I thought. I told my SIL what I thought but I guess she doesn't think so. I don't know what I would do if I got pregnant now and they wanted more than one.... can you say no to them? I am not normally a freak about things. I mean not a healh food junky or anything like that. But when I was pregnant I was. I never put anything in my body that wasn't healthy and didn't do the 4D ultrasound for fear of too many ultrasounds. I guess I wanted every chance for a healthy baby that the fear of making just one small bad choice would take away all my hard work. Oh well. Thanks for all of you answers. : )
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 1:28 PM on May. 3, 2010

• To the first poster, you're incorrect, ultrasound is not "safer" now than it was 40 years ago when it entered the scene. It's exactly the same lol. Our machines make a clearer picture, but it is the exact same technology.

ACOG recommends NOT having routine ultrasounds done at all, and to use the technology ONLY when a problem is suspected. This is from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, not from crunchy, totally natural sources lol. The reason is because ultrasound does seem to have some effects on brain and tissue development, and it seems to precipitate unnecessary interventions, without improving outcomes.

So for now it's not considered UNSAFE to have multiple ultrasounds, but because the effects are still largely unknown, it's use is not recommended in healthy pregnancies. THIS INCLUDES THE USE OF FETAL DOPPLERS.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:34 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Savymom, yes you can refuse ultrasounds.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:35 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Had them all the time...It depends on the Dr and your medical history. I liked knowing everything was ok :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:47 PM on May. 3, 2010

• i do think it's common. but i prefer to limit them. i had 2 with my first pregnancy. i was just going to have 1, but at about 38 weeks, my midwife thought she felt 2 heads in there. (there was just one btw). i am 32 weeks now and have had 1 and don't plan on having any more. :) some women don't have any.

i agree with what ati says about u/s affecting tissues, and sometimes leading to risky interventions. i have read that babies who have 8+ u/s weigh less than other babies who don't have so much exposure.
    Anonymous

• I had 5 ultrasounds when I was pregnant because I was considered high risk, because I had RH negative blood and my son had RH Positive blood and my body was trying to reject him...
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:25 PM on May. 3, 2010

• "When I was preggo with my third they added another one that was supposed to be use to tell if the baby has autism or not."

There is no way to tell before a baby is born whether or not he/she will have autism.
    Anonymous