How do feel about field trips with preschoolers?

I looked at 4 schools so far. One has a great curriculum but they take field trips every other week all year round. It's an art school so they visit museums and theaters etc. The others do about 2 or 3 trips a year. WHat is your opinion about trips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it can be good, but it is a little scary having other people transporting your kids. When my kid's preschool has field trips that aren't within walking distance parents have to transport their own kids, which means I have to take off work or my kids don't go. If fieldtrips were frequent this would be a problem.
    Anonymous

• i think its a great idea... especially if it's cultural stuff, and not just going to the farm (which is good too... but i'm an art person... so thats important to me.) it also teaches the kids how to behave in a social setting, away from mom...
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 1:27 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I love that my son can take trips to enhance his early education. I see it as a plus not a negative. In our school we are lucky that it is located within walking distanceto all of there trips. The art museum, library, cultural center, and parks are an easy distance and parents volunteer to walk two children each.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:29 PM on May. 3, 2010

• If they make a lot of field trips, my thinking is that they have the transportation and insurance aspect well covered. As for whether this amount of trips are beneficial or detrimental for young children, think about it this way: brain research on young children clearly shows that the more experiences a child has, the more pathways they develop in their brain. Everytime something happens, particularly something novel and stimulating to our different sensory systems, neurons start firing and pathways develop in the brain. Repeated experiences entrench these pathways. The more pathways you have, the greater abilities you have for divergent thinking. The more divergent thinking skills you have, chances are you will do better, overall, in life. In other words, people with more varied pathways have better problem solving and coping skills and are just plain smarter. So, IMO, sounds like a phenomenal program and a no-brainer.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 1:50 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I love field trips. My DD has been going on field trips at daycare since she's been 1 year of age. She goes to home daycare. I think it's good for the kids to get out.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:20 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Field trips are AWESOME, they keep the kids interested in what they are learning about. I'm all for it. There is a huge world to see, and the more they are exposed to, the more they'll learn!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:25 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My daughter's preschool does a handful of field trips during the school year, last year she went pumpkin picking and they went to see Alvin and the Chipmunks....during the summer session they do one field trip a week, they would always start at the library and then they did a variety of things, state parks, state fair, farms, berry picking, etc. At first I was nervous about her going on the bus, etc. but she goes batty with excitement with each trip and LOVES it so much I quickly realized it was only a good thing. She really had such a blast.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:27 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Our preschool tries for at least 1 field trip a month. Not necessarily so much in the winter (they have someone come in, like a dental hygeinist or something, if they can't get out to go somewhere). They just had one today (to sing at the nursing home a town over), they go on one this Friday (state park, nature hike, etc). Since it's a small school (20 kids in 2 classes this year), parents volunteer to drive. We have to bring in our license, insurance, etc, before being allowed to drive, and the school has carseats we have to put in our vehicles for the kids. I love all the field trips - I've driven for most of them this year ;o).
    Anonymous