How often should a 16 month old eat during the day?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 2:02 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• as much or as little as they want! At this age, appetite fluctuates constantly, so some days your child might be ravenous all day, and others might just survive on air. Just be sure to offer healthy foods and snacks throughout the day, and let your child decide how much to eat. My daughter is almost 18 months old, but she usually gets up and nurses, eats a good breakfast, has a snack a few hours later, then lunch, another small snack and dinner (she is a pig!) She also nurses a few times in between there. My three year old, on the other hand, will go days with just snacking here and there, and then a few days of eating constantly. They know when they are hungry and will be sure to let you know!

ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 2:10 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I always give my kids 3 meals a day and offer some fruit or veggies between each meal.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:12 PM on May. 3, 2010

• My son is 17 months old, eats 3 meals and usually 2 snacks in between.

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on May. 3, 2010

• DS changes day to day Breakfast and Lunch are his 2 main meals and sometimes he will eat dinner sometimes he wont... I keep cut up apples for him to nibble on for a snack and then he eats fruit as a bedtime snack after his bath and with his story...
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 2:38 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I'll just add that it's good to remember that children's nutritional needs are very different from adults. You should be able to get some good info from your public health nurse or doctor's office. Keep in mind that growth spurts and activity levels fluctuate and somedays they are starving and other days, not so much.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 5:52 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I feed my 16 month old when I feel shes hungry she does eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and two snacks generally through the day.
    amberh0225

Answer by amberh0225 at 11:52 PM on May. 3, 2010