Big dogs and small children.. Are you very strict? Maybe I'm too strict? I don't think so, but, folks not here all day with them see to think so.

I'm very strict with what my dogs can/cannot do indoors because I have a toddler that they could easily accidentally hurt if they get over-excited or run indoors. My dogs both weigh over 100lbs so they are told to lie down/sit a lot and are not allowed to run to greet visitors (my son does).

My MIL was here yesterday to visit and my son ran to her and she immediately gave me grief because I signaled my dogs to go lie down instead of run out to her. She told me I'm not "letting dogs be dogs, awwww poor doggies".

I stood up to her about it and later my SO said maybe she's right.

IMO 2 very large dogs need limits. One of them being you wait and greet guests NICELY is not an evil limit to have.

Then he asked me about how they aren't allowed to run around the house. I said they go outside to run around, we go out and play daily, indoors they can be calm. But he says he "doesn't know".

Opinions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I don't think so at all. I have 2 large dogs and 2 small children and we are the exact same way. (except our dogs are not allowed in the house).
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:26 PM on May. 3, 2010

• It's not about being strict, you're enforcing house rules. Honestly, I wouldn't bee too concerned about the dogs knocking over the kid, they're usually pretty good about avoiding obstacles, like a child. and, after you have your 3rd kid, you come to realize that they're not as breakable as you first thought. lol
    I don't see why a dog should play inside, when I don't even let the kids. we have a yard, inside time is calm. You've done the right things, but I think that you're being too cautious w/ the kid. Just my opinion. The dogs? you're absolutely right, you're simply enforcing house rules... nothing wrong there.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:33 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Obby, lol, my Newf is the main issue.. She backs up excitedly (if allowed to get excited indoors) and has knocked ME over. She just does not pay attention to where her butt is. There has already been 1 incident where she backed into him and knocked him into the table. I worry about it so I banned indoor excitement and I'm happier this way but apparently it could depress her?? lol
    Anonymous

• I agree with you. I tell my children that they can only play calmly with the dogs inside, because I want the dogs to learn that inside is for being calm. But the kids are allowed to chase and wrestle with the dogs outside. My 82 year old grandmother lives with me and I don't want the dogs to accidentally knock her down by jumping or getting overly excited inside. I also do not allow my dogs to run and greet people. I am teaching them to sit and wait to be petted or not. (some people are just not dog people) My children are 6 and 4, and my dogs are 45 - 60 pounds.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 2:41 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Oh, I think you're doing exactly the right thing. It only takes one time of your dog getting over excited to greet a guest, or rough housing with each other and something goes wrong and your child could really get hurt. Then everyone would say you weren't controlling your dogs, right? We can't have it both ways. The dogs don't realize they could hurt your child accidentally so you have to enforce limits. As long as your dogs are getting adequate play time outside then I think you are being smart and not mean at all. You are saving the dogs from getting in trouble by telling them when it is time to obey and when it is time to play. I say good job, Mama!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:54 PM on May. 3, 2010

• wow i wish my dog would be as calm as you're describing yours to be! my big yellow lab is 4 yrs and he's not a bad dog, but he does get overly excited. He goes out to play and everything, but he's still very excitable when we have visitors. He's always very gentle around my kids, but i do get nervous if he gets a little crazy when the baby's playing on the floor. I usually send him out the door when that happens!
    I think it's good that you have good control over them like that, as long as they're getting out to play and exercise (& it sounds like you have that covered!)
    Anonymous

• Dogs need training. They don't think anything of it, that is life. If you give them love and affection and treat them well, they are not going to care- you are the alpha leader and your say so is law. That is life.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 3:06 PM on May. 3, 2010

• All dogs no matter what their size need to be taught manners when people come to the door. I personally hate when small dogs come jumping all over and barking like crazy when I open a door more then the big dogs running to greet me. My dog is very well trained (and we paid a pretty penny for it) and is very well behaved inside and with the kids even outside with them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as they get the exercise they need outside.
    Anonymous

• dogs learn by consistancy and routines. if this a routine to act and behave it doesn't hurt the dogs and frankly they don't know the difference. in fact it's great to have your dogs trained not to run at people and people should always avoid eye contact, affection and attention until they calm down or the person sees that they are good and should be rewarded with attention at that time. i don't think your mil knows what proper dog ethetic is. in the pack world the dogs would not be able to go jump or play with the alpha dog unless allowed too. so your the alpha leader of the pack.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:29 PM on May. 3, 2010

• u totally did the right thing. yay to u! yer MIL doesnt "get it" apparantly.
    Anonymous