Do teachers make mistakes when rating an assignment/homework?

My niece said that she deserved an A but the teacher gave her a B+.
This make me wonder if teachers ever make mistakes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on May. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes. They do make honest mistakes. I actually took one of my son's papers back to his teacher - she had given him an incomplete and wrote on it that it looked like something he had printed out off the internet. (It was a graph/chart of the material - I had shown him how to type it into Excel and let it graph it for him. The graph was not part of the assignment, he had done the math to get the numbers - I just thought it would be a nice extra). I took in the papers where he had done the work and she admitted that she had made a mistake and changed his grade.
    Anonymous

• Of couse they do they are human just like the rest of us.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:34 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Well we are only human,we can make mistakes in grading when it comes to questions and points. I have marked something wrong when it should have been marked right, things like that. That's why I have students check their papers when I go over the answers. When it comes to a writing assignment, maybe the teacher just didn't feel it deserved an A. Did she write any comments on the paper? Perhaps your DD could ask what would have gotten her that A.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:35 PM on May. 3, 2010

• makes me wonder* op
    Anonymous

• Did she write any comments on the paper?

I saw "Great" written on the paper. op
    Anonymous

• Well OP there is always room for improvement too. Sometimes I will not give a student an E on their report card in certain subjects, I'll go with an S. Yes that student is doing VERY WELL, but they can do even better. Perhaps this teacher just isn't one who is easy on handing out As. A B+ is still VERY GOOD. :) :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:41 PM on May. 3, 2010

• Perhaps this teacher just isn't one who is easy on handing out As

It shouldn't be up to the "teacher's mood"!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Of course they can make mistakes they are human not computer. I know many teachers that do not hand out A's unless it is extremely well written for written assignments so maybe it is that sort of teacher. And just because the child feels it deserves an A does not mean it does. I know a teacher who takes her writing assignments and ranks those that are very well written and only gives a certain number of A's and B's etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:28 PM on May. 3, 2010

• ANON48 MOOD has nothing to do with it. Many teachers will not give an A if there is ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT, as the other poster said. An A is the highest grade to be earned, and many may hold their students up to higher standards to earn that grade.

Anonymous

• Of course they do.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 4:23 PM on May. 3, 2010