Important Question?

I am in a home that has had black mold in it for 5 months. My landlord knew as soon as the basement flooded and that there was black mold growing, yet waited for 3 months to do anything about it. Also this is the second time it has happened in two years! After contacting him by phone several times he sent someone out to drain the basement. Mind you we pay 1,500 a month for a house that is big but not super nice and anything that is nice we have done ourselves. So I emailed the landlord two weeks ago again saying something about the mold situation he shows up yesterday for the first time and says either we clean it ourselves or we move. Not in a very good position to be moving rite now at all. Biggest problem would be my son keeps getting tonsil/throat infections do you think the mold could be the reason for these infections?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on May. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Black mold comes in may different forms/types. You're renting so I would think you could take it to an attorney. Let me warn you though, having it tested is very expensive and timely... If you want to get to the bottom of it be prepared to do some leg work. IMO, I would find somewhere else to live just in case it is making your son sick..GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:43 PM on May. 3, 2010

• absolutely the mold is the cause.

call the city and have someone come out to check it, then take it legally to the landlord. its his responsibility to rectify the situation.

get out of the house as soon as you can before your son has anymore health problems - you as well!
    Anonymous

• Absolutely can black mold (or any mold) be the cause of throat/tonsil issues!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:00 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I would move for sure!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:12 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I would be contacting a lawyer. If it was not your fault the basement flooded then it is the landlords legal responsibility to take care of it. As for the mold being the cause of the infections it most certainly could be. I would talk with a lawyer and find somewhere else to stay for now even if with friends until the landlord takes care of it or you find somewhere else to live.
    Anonymous

• Yeah get the hell out of there. Move even if you have to get out of the house into a tent in the yard. Sorry. Honestly it is not worth a life of medical problems for your child.
    Are you a member of a church, or social organization? Find some one to help you and get out.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:35 PM on May. 5, 2010